Engine Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine Question

Is there any kind of engine that would be easy to put on a scout (other than IH LOL)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine Question

Nothing would be "easy" to put in. There's a kit for a Chevy 350 for sale at several scout sites. I would think it wouldn't be worth the trouble to put anything in other than an IH motor. If I were you i'd locate an old 345 or 304 and rebuild it or just put it in as is.
Luke
"If it's too loud, you're too old!"

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 02:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMHO The easiest non IH engine swap to do is to go with a mopar. You use the mopar engine and 727 case. Swap out the tranny internals and then bolt on the tranny output housing. Then you can put together the engine and tranny, stick it all in the chassie and mount the output housing in the original location. From there all you need to do is fab up some brackets that go from the IH engine mounts to the mopar engine "ears". Your forward and aft location is fixed all you have to dial in is up/down and left/right. IH sensors, oil press and temp bolt right in to the mopar block. I did mine in 3 months.

http://www.scoutswest.com/ihrd/ssii_...pics/index.htm

If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey! just curious on what you use to coat your frame. My wife and I are getting ready to redo my '63 with a 345 from frame up. I need to figure out a good coating that will stop rust and yet thick and durable. By the way that is a sweet scout {all of them}

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Paint work is 90% prep and 10% materials. I used rust-O-lieum, sprayed on with my paint gun, primer then flat black for the frame. Same stuff only gloss black for the bolt ons. I think it is more important to spend a lot of time removing the old grease and grime than to

<figure out a good coating that will stop rust and yet thick and durable>

Most any old paint will stop rust IF APPLIED RIGHT, and I don't think there is any paint out there that will stand up to rock chips or scraping across rocks. When that happens now it's just a quick touch up with a shaker can.
Good luck with your project.
Kent

For rusty areas, I use a needle gun to remove loose flakey rust, then treat it with "Extend",

If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello, What you mentioned about the Mopar swap is interesting. I have also been thinking of a swap.. What if??? Is the Mopar tranny the same "boltup" as the IHC tranny into the Frame of the Scout? Same tranny housing and all? In other words instead of swapping out the IHC internals into the Mopar internals cant you just mount the Mopar 727 right into the Scout? Then put the mopar engine on and weld some new mounts>? I know that the IHC 727 bellhousing bolt patern is different from the mopar 727.. Why switch out the internals when you can just throw in the complete mopar 727 and mopar engine? Maybe I am missing something?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reason for swapping the IH stuff is so you can use the stock adaptor and transfer case. If you want to go with a Mopar setup, you will be dealing with a full size case (203, 205, 208) and although some of these are stronger than the Scout 20, they are quite a bit bigger and would cut down on your ground clearance I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode