Pop goes the Tranny....Help!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 03:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pop goes the Tranny....Help!!!

I recently purchased a 1974 Scout II equipped with a 345 and auto trans. for $500. The engine runs and the body/interior are in decent condition, but there is something wrong with the tranny. I'm not sure yet if it is a Borg-Warner or a 727. What's the easiest way to tell? The previous owner had been using the Scout as a daily driver up until a couple months ago when the tranny evidently crapped out. He said it happened without warning one day as he was motoring along. He had no prior indication that the transmission was about to "go". All of a sudden, the truck lurched as if he had run over something and then he could no longer get power to the rear wheels. Thinking it might be the driveline or rear differential, he engaged the 4x4 in the hopes that he could drive with the front axle, but this didn't work either. I haven't been under the truck yet to do a thorough inspection, but I don't think this is a linkage problem. Damn it! So much for the easy fix! Could it be some shear pin or a band inside the tranny? Maybe a torque converter problem? Or a busted front pump shaft? Does this problem sound familiar to any of you Automatic tranny guys? Is it better/more cost-effective to rebuild or replace these tranny's? I know that's an awful lot of damn questions, but I have a powerful thirst for knowledge and it must be quenched! Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

ANYTHING LESS IS JUST A CAR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pop goes the Tranny....Help!!!

The Borg-Warner is the 727 - Chrysler tranny, but made by Borg-Warner

Can't help on what's wrong, not sure.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 727 and Borg Warner are two completely different transmissions. The B-W is similar to (and I 'think' is related to) the Ford FMX or Cruise-o-matic. Your truck should have the 727, AFAIK all of the Scout II's with automatics came with the 727, and that is what my 74 has. As for auto trans troubleshooting know how, you don't want me- but I would check out everything else first, including the transfer case, before I assumed it was the trans and dropped it out. The good news (if there is any) is that since it IS a 727, there are a ton of places that have parts and know how to rebuild it, and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. One of the big IH vendors advertises rebuilt auto trannys with torque convertor for $350, so you may be able to do about that well locally (that is cash and carry however, installation is another thing).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 03:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I suspected that it was most likely a 727, but wasn't positive. The other individual who responded before you claimed that the 727 is the same as a Borg-Warner, but that didn't sound right to me. Probably wise advice on your part not to rule the transfer case out yet, but doesn't the rear axle get it's power directly from the transmission same as a rear wheel (2wd) drive vehicle? If that's true, it seems to me that the transfer case would not be involved in powering the rear wheels at all. I don't know. Just trying to make sense of this cunundrum so that I can get 'Ol Cornbinder back on the road. Thanks again.
Anything less would be a Jeep.
Scoutboy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is kind of off the subject, but about that place that sells those transmissions...Do you think they have a 392??

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you go and buy a "rebuilt " 727 tranny for under $350, your either not getting a rebuilt one, or the guy sellin it is REAAAAAAALLLLY in a need for cash...Trust me, I rebuilt mine, and I put over $250 into it....My guess is for $350, your getting a tranny with at the most, new clutch bands($120), old bushings, seals(pistons), shims, etc...However, it is pretty ez to rebuild one if ya have a manual...I dont know what your tranny pro is, truthfully I didnt read the post very close,,Ill go back now and read..hehe

1980 Bronco 2001 Top Truck Challange Dude !!!!...Also Proud Owner of a 68' Firebird Convertible, with a "gulp" All roller 460 :O)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I cant say what the prob is by reading your post, just too many possibilities...But hey you are in Oregon, why dont ya email me ...If you wanna rebuild it let me know, I may be able to help ya out...First, pull the pan though...Loosen the front and rear bands and se if you can move the input shaft...Actually youll have to remove the tranny for that, but anyway, check for big metal chunks in the pan, if there are, prob solved, sort of..I dont see how a band can break, or a torque converter for that engine, I mean it takes alot more than what these IH' s have to break one...Good luck...

1980 Bronco 2001 Top Truck Challange Dude !!!!...Also Proud Owner of a 68' Firebird Convertible, with a "gulp" All roller 460 :O)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you probably meant to respond to olscout99. He seemed to have some answers. I'm not sure what place he was talking about. Have you tried ScoutMadness and Anything Scout? Those are just a couple of cool Scout and IHC sites that I have come across in my brief internet searches. You might be able to find your 392 through one of those sites. Good luck and happy huntin'!
Scoutboy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for responding. You're not the first person who's told me that these trannys are easy to rebuild. I'm starting to lean in that direction. Unless she's a total gut-pile, I think I'll give it a try. At least that way I know what I've got in it. I need to get my hands on a good service manual with exploded views of the trans before I even attempt it. I know where I can order one brand new, but I'm a little skittish of the brand new price - ($60 plus S & H) - yikes! Is it written on parchment scroll or what? UPDATE! I was under the Scout this weekend and noticed that there was one good sized bolt coming out of the passenger side bell housing area that was very loose. There's supposed to be an identical bolt on the other side of the housing, but that one is missing. I doubt this is the problem, but it can't be good to have a bolt that size very loose on one side and missing on the other side. I'm not sure what the purpose of these bolts are, but they are about 2 inches long and about 3/8 inch diameter. I also had somebody tell me that he thought the sprag (whatever the hell that is) may be broken in my tranny and that it would require a qualified transmission tech to fix. Does that ring any bells?
Scoutboy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about a broken sprag? Someone told me that could be the problem. I don't even know what a sprag is. What do you think? Thanks!
Scoutboy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode