Scout II & AMC interchangeability??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout II & AMC interchangeability???

Saw an ad in my local paper today:

Scout II, 345, AT, Dana 44 & Dana 60, winch & winch bumper, slightly rolled, $950 (approx. $650 US).

Sorry, don't know the model year yet. What trannies and transfercases came in these trucks? Will this tranny bolt up to an AMC 401 V8, or will the Xfercase from the Scout bolt to a TH400?

Reason I ask is that I'm fixin' to build a Jeep CJ or YJ from the ground up, and I already have a complete 1974 Cherokee for parts (401/TH400/Quadra-trac).

1) I'd like to use the AMC 401/TH400 with the Scout Xfercase and axles.

or

2) I'd like to use the AMC 401 with the Scout AT/Xfercase and axles.

Option three, which I'm certain you'll all support, is to build up the Scout. Where would I find a good tub though? Are fibreglass tubs available?

When I view the truck, how can I distinguish the Xfercase and axles to confirm models? What should I look for?

Thanks for your help and expertise.

'85 LWB Samurai, SPOA, 1.6L EFI, GRS1, 5.12 gears, lockers front & rear, power steering, 33" tires, fold-down windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout II & AMC interchangeability???

Scouts never came stock with a dana 60, so you've either got a modified truck, or a clueless owner. The transmission is probably a 727 Torqueflite (though some of the earlier Scout IIs had a Borg Warner auto) - you won't be able to use it behind an AMC (it's got an IHC bolt pattern). The transfer case is probably a dana 20, though if someone put a dana 60 into this scout then it may have a dana 300. Scout transfer cases came with the 'texas' 5-bolt (or 4 bolt in the case of the dana 300) pattern. I don't believe they'll bolt up to a TH400.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout II & AMC interchangeability???

Fiberglass tubs are available but they're currently $3180 USD retail in addition to shipping.

Check out http://www.kentrolinc.com

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode