Need quick answer! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need quick answer!

I took off my heads yesterday on my 304. I noticed they were freakin dirty as hell. It looked like there was burnt oil all over my rocker arm assembly and what not. Could this be caused by extremely low oil pressure due to crappy cam bearings or is it normal for your heads to be dirty
. P.S thats what why I'm taking it apart. To fix the cam bearings.
Luke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need quick answer!

Luke,the crap you found in your heads is probably what is commonly call sludge that is caused by the oil not being changed very often and using a non-detergent oil. If it smells burnt it could also be that not enough oil was getting to the rockers, but I'm sorry to tell you it could be more then the cam bearings. It could also be:
#1.Worn or loose or excessive side clearance in the
connecting rod bearings.
#2.Worn or loose main bearings
#3.Excessive crankshaft end play
#4.Worn camshaft bearings and/or journals
#5.Worn crankshaft journals
#6.Defective crankshaft seals
#7.leaking seal plug at end camshaft bearing.
#8. Broken oil line
#9.All of the above
My suggestion is to get a manual and a couple of micrometers and mic everything out to see what exactly you need it will save you a lot of headaches in the future. Hope I didn't burst your bubble and the information is helpful.
reclusej

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for the reply:
Well, today in my Auto Tech class I decided that it would be a good idea for me to rebuild the motor while I had it out. I'll actually only be spending an extra 100 or so on it this way. This way I'll save money in the long run. Hey, thanx for the info, my guess is that my rings are bad, plus, as I mentioned in another post, I'm replacing my cam, cam bearings and lifters already, My cam and cam bearings are toast. My gauge wasn't even reading oil pressure when I decided to do this.
Luke
"If it's too loud, you're too old!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

While rebuilding your engine pay close attention to your crankshaft, bearings and journals. The oil pump in your engine only provides oil flow and the ability of pressure. The pressure in your oil system comes from tolerances in your crankshaft. Be it that your camshaft was toast it could be possible that the oil was leaking past your crankshaft bearings at such a rate that the rest of your engine wasn't getting enough oil. Hence the toasted camshaft and cooked oil on the heads. Either that or your oil pump is wore out and is failing, but crankshaft seizures usually happen when the oil pump completely fails. But dont overlook your oil pump, it would really suck to have a freshly rebuilt engine toasted from an old oil pump. Stout Scout

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for the reply:
I thought of that today and went and bought a new oil pump for my Scout at the local parts store. I'm not worried about my crankshaft, today in auto class I took my cam, lifters, oil pump and pistons out. The crank is in really good shape, I measured everything with a micrometer. I'm going to hone my cylindars out, put new main and connecting rod bearings in, put in new piston rings, a new cam, cam bearings, lifters, and oil pump in. So I should have everything covered. Oh yeah, and I'm dipping my heads in the dip tank to clean them and then I'm reseating them. Anyone got some advice on what valve springs I should buy? Everything is stock but I want some better springs than stock. I've heard that Chevy big block springs work. Anyone have some advice? Thanx for all the replys.
Luke
"If it's too loud, you're too old!"
74' scout 304
75 scout 345

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode