Heater 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heater 2

I guess that I should have clarified myself....After putting the "Air" all the way on, the heater on "High", and "Defrost" all the way on, the heat doesn't come out very hard...I mean it is adequate, and it never gets very hot...Is it just the Scouts? Because all other cars that I've been in that had working heaters blew pretty hard...And as soon as the car was warmed up it was hot and blowing hard....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 02:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heater 2

I live in the arctic of Alaska and I experience the same trouble that you are having. The heat dosent seem to get that hot and it seems to be blowing less that ford or chevy does. It didnt seem to affect the heat output any when I switched to a chevy 350 engine. I have backflushed my heater core and it is clean, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I am thinking of going to a different blower motor such as a chevy unit to see if this helps any. I have also found out that a late 70,s model scout is hard to find without rust on it. It turns out that they switched over to a lower grade of steel and they are more likely to rust than the earlier models. As it turns out replacement fenders are readily available in steel and fiberglass.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alaska? Wow...LOL I bet that it isn't too hard to get stuck in the winter... = I wanna go there sometime..
How much would that new motor cost for the heater?
Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I live in Barrow, Alaska , Its as far north as you can go, just the ocean from then on. The snow is very hard here, hardly ever get powder. I just put 35x15.5 tires on the scout. I hope this will help with the floatation factor. The top layer of snow is so hard that you can drive on it sometimes, especially on the snowmachine trails. But if you break through it is very tough to get back on top, so you dig and dig and dig. Soon I am going to put a locker in the rear and limited slip in the front. I got stuck the other day and I was only spinning one tire in the front and one in the back, gotta fix that. I couldnt give you a price on the heater motor, everything is very expensive here. There is only one parts store in town and I swear there markup is 300%. NAPA (never any parts available) It fits. I am going to look in to the heater motor swap this weekend. To make it clear to myself i want to gauge the rpm of the stock scout motor then the replacement motor to see if it is actually the motor or the ducting system, not too sure. The only good thing about lack of a good heating system is that it wakes you up before you get to work in the morning.
I will keep you posted on what I find out with the heating system this weekend, and let you know what I found out. Stout Scout

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok everything is turned on right. So look under the dash and see if all tub are hook up. If so, pull the defrost tubs see if they are not full of junk. I have lost many things down those tub. they could be full and blocking off the heater. If you windshield is keeping clear it may all you going to get. My Scouts has ever seems to be real warm. Here is what my uncle did to his jeep. He put a heater under the seat. Add a "t" in the heater hoses and run hoses to the one under seat. I'm been thinking to do it my Scout. And someday I might even get around to doing it. My chey 4x4 had a real thick radiator, and the windows would freeze over going down the road. But ever gotten hot off road. I put a nape on clover over the grill in the winter. One that zip down the middle like what is on the big trucks. You might find a faster blower motor or a larger cage (fan) to put in. If all else fails, just drive it the summer or like i'm doing moving to Arizona. "Grin"

Oh look under the hood on one of the heater hoses you will see a valve that your slid cable is hook on to. Make sure that the cable is pushing this valve all the way open. I have had some units that I gave up on and just turn it on by hand. Also see if all the tubing is conected right and are sealing so you not losing air flow.
Good luck and don't freeze your back end off.
Riolobo

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright...Thanks guys...I'm in Illinois and we just got hit by a cold spell...Probably not like Alaska though = Like -6 they said it might get down to -30 also...But LOL when I got in my Scout the leather was hard and I didn't have much padding...But my hands hadn't warmed up by the time I got to school...(About a 10 min ride)
I'll try those things and hopefully the is just something stuck in the ducts....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It worked great. The motor I used was out of a 96 chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a 5.7l engine and no air conditioning. A few modifications are necessary though. The bolt pattern is identicle on my 78 scout. The blower wheel on the chevy is 1/4" bigger so you have to use a die grinder on the mounting surface to get it in. The chevy motor is cooled by a hose coming from the heater box, so you have to weld a fitting on the side and use the rubber hose that the chevys use. (I still have to do this) The motor came with the blower wheel already attached and no modifications are needed, It fits good. If you overtighten the mounting screws I noticed a slight rubbing noise, but when "snugged down" there was no rubbing, even when I wiggled it with my hand. A ground wire will have to be installed, there is a small hole in the motor at the bottom that a clip is screwed on in the chevys. I used an eye terminal and a screw it was adequite. Then attach the other end to a good ground. The result was well worth it, It seems like it blows twice as much hot air. The stock motor turned at 2350 rpm with a 5" wheel and the chevy motor turned at 2755 rpm with a 5 1/4" wheel. The rear heater idea works great also and might be easier than this. It is common for rigs here to have rear heaters in them. It is not an option for me though, the kenwood bandpass box I have in the back really cuts the cargo space down, I already tossed the rear seat for the box. Front radiator covers work well also. But they wont do a whole lot for you if your engine is already coming up to temperature without it. It dosen't get all that warm here so I installed a 195 degree thermostat and it helps, but if you have hot summers you will have to change it. Hope you get the heat you desire. Stout Scout.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 04:42 PM

I live in Montana and had lousy heater performance from my '77 Scout II.. until I yanked out the 3-row heater core and swapped in the 4-row core and box from a '72 SII (71-74 had 3row with 4 row optional. 75-80 only had the 3-row).

Now I darn near get blisters on my legs with no other modifications.

If the blower isn't blowing enough, you can wire it straight through to 12V for MORE air via a relay.

I'm just running a 185 Robert Shaw 'stat.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much does that cost? And how would I rewire the blower?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode