304 conversion to 345 question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 conversion to 345 question.

We are about to become Scout owners. yea! We are looking at a late 70's scout with a blown 304 in it. The owner knows of a disasembled 345 that we can pick up cheap. What will and will not transfer over from the 304? I don't know any thing about IH, sorry. Are they the same block? Will the exhaust switch over? How about engine mounts? water pump? stuff like that? Thanx. We will post pic's once we get it in a few days. It already has a 4" spring lift with good 33's on it. It needs quite a bit of TLC though. Thanx in advance.

Your jealous cause the voices only talk to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 304 conversion to 345 question.

Hey dude:
You should be able to switch the engines with no problems. Are you sure the motor your buying has all the parts. Do you know the guy who disassemble it. You wouldn't wanna get half way through the rebuild and have to go buy some hard to find part that he lost.(if you catch my drift)
Same block,cam,water pump, distributor, carb, motor mounts, exhaust is the same. Most things a switchable, the crank and intake are two thinks I know you cant switch. You may want to look for a list of switchable parts on a web page. It'll probably be more extensive and accurate.
Luke
"If it's too loud, You're too old!"

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure how complete the 345 is but that is a good point to look at. they only want 150 for the 345 and 500 for the scout with the blown 304. We don't even know the extent of the "blown" engine so it might be somthing we can fix. You say the intake is not transferable. how about the carbs? the 304 has a brand new holly on it and I would like to transfer it to the 345. Will this work? Thanx again. sorry about the dumb questions but I have NEVER touched a scout before. I own a toy that I know inside and out but my girlfriend is scout happy. Thanx again.

Your jealous cause the voices only talk to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you said blown, I was sure you were referring to a blower, ie. forced induction. Never seen someone go through the trouble of really hot-rodding an IH motor.

As for the carb, the 345 will most likely have a 2-barrel intake on it. However, there are 4-barrel intakes that, when combined with about a 600 cfm carb REALLY open them up. I helped my buddy install a 4-barrel intake and a Holly 625 and his Scout would burn-out through first gear and would have got off in second if his synchros were better than those commonly found on an Allis-Chalmers tractor. His top-end was well over 100mph also.

Of course, being an old, original engine, he soon lost compression in three cylinders. As a five banger, he could still pull pretty well.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 304 and 345 share the same bore diameter, but the 345 has a longer stroke. The block deck height of the 345 is greater, which is why the intake manifold is not interchangeable. Things like the oil pump, flywheel, valve covers, etc. should interchange. Probably the pistons as well. The heads are different (smaller valves, etc on the 304 heads), but you may be able to put 304 heads on a 345 if you really want to. Crank is obviously different, as well as push rods, valley pan. Not sure about piston rods.

Hope that helps.

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode