Cam - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cam

Pretty soon here I'm going to be putting new cam bearings into a 74' Scout with a 304. I was wondering if I could do this without putting the motor. I'm on a very very low budget. What would I need to talk off to do this? Could I take off the radiator, grill, etc, and work through the front in? I have the huge manual to work from, but all of their procedures are from the standpoint of having the motor already pulled. Can anyone tell me how to with the motor still intact. I need as much info as possible and would greatly appreciate some replies.

74' Scout II 304
75' Scout II 345
"If it's to loud, you're to old!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:13 PM

Re: Cam

You *can*..

Tear the hood, grille, radiator.. and then you can pull the timing cover off and you can then get the camshaft out and replace the cam bearings.

You'll need a special installation tool ($100-$200 IIRC) to put 'em in, and you'll need to be VERY careful to get the oil holes lined up properly and to not wedge the bearings in sideways at all.

I had the machine shop do this tricky job when I rebuilt my 345 - even out of the truck at the machine shop they got one of the cam bearings in ever-so-slightly off and required just a little touch up with a drill bit to make sure the oiling hole to the rockers was "right" (I think it was a slight imperfection in the cam bearing mfg process since the other oil hole lined up great).

Most people will tell you to pull the motor and have it done... but I know how hard $$$ is to come by.. and it *can* be done..

Are you replacing the camshaft while you're at it? If the bearings are toast, the cam bearing journals are probably toast.. and you'll need to inspect the timing gears on the cam n' crank, too - they have a tendency to get damaged when the cam starts flopping around.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I get a stock cam for a 304? If I were to get a high performance one, what kind of modifications to the motor would I need to make?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 04:26 PM

http://www.naparts.com for the stock camshaft - the cam comes with lifters. I think the bearings are another $20-$25.

For a "stock" motor you probably don't want to go too far on the cam. An Isky 256/256 is a step up from stock, as is the 256/262. The 262/262 grind may be a bit "much" for a stock motor, I don't know.

No modifications for any of those cams. The only gotcha is the "higher" you go the less low end torque you'll have, but the more midrange.

When I built my 345, I used the Isky 262/262 camshaft - but I raised the compression some which made the loss at the bottom-end not as bad, and I ported the heads, balanced the reciprocating assembly, and used stronger valve springs so I can run my 345 close to 6,000rpm - and the stock camshaft won't breath past 5k.. which is fine with a factory 4000rpm redline.

-Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 02:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

U shouldn't have to change the cam bearings unless they are messed up when the cam is pulled- Comp cams has a bump stick for it too Or could always do the regrind thing.... I don't like them because the base circle is reduced... but they do work though....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 01:51 PM

FWIW, IH cam bearings are a known weak-point.. and this thread started out with "I'm replacing the cam bearings"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Guys:
I'm proud to say that I started my work on the Scout today. I'm in my Junior year of High School right now and am replacing the cam, cam bearings, and lifters in my Auto Tech Class. I decided to go with a stock cam from Napa and replace the lifters while I was at it. Thanks everyone for their help.
Luke

74' Scout 304
75' Scout 345
"If it's to loud, you're too old!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode