Jus joined - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jus joined

anyone else out there with mid 60's scout? I just recently bought a '63 it has a slant 4 - 4 speed that's all I know about it. Is it normal to have alot of fumes coming out the oil fill cap on my 4 cylindr?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 03:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jus joined

No, your downdraft tube might be pluged check on drivers side of engine should have a tube that hangs down to the road, I would do check though the whole engine do a comp test check carb and check all hoses for any leaks, you will get some fumes at an idle but not a whole lot.some had a tube from the filler neck to the air cleaner,check too see if you have one are if you had one and it is craked
Good luck and Keep on scouting

Bindernut
Boys drive toys Men drive Scout's!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tips I'll take a look. I don't recall a downdraft tube. I was actually thinking of fabbin' my own pcv hose sort to speak from the filler cap to the carb but decided against it in fear of clogging it. I've put a k&n filter on it. Is there a way to tell by looking at the engine if it's a 152-as opposed to a 196 ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should have a 152 as they didn't have the 196 in 63 but you can check the oil dip stick should be 2 holes to bolt it to the head if it it at the higher hole then you do have a 196 also look at the tag over the master cylinder hp should say 80 for the 152 and 110 for a 196 my 63 was 152 .you have the flip down windsheild ? if so you have a modle 80 not a 800 they didn't offer a 800 till 65

Bindernut
Boys drive toys Men drive Scout's!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O.K. This info is good! It turns out that my scout has 152 engine and the flip down so it's a model 80. However the blow-by fumes still bother me. I couldn't find a place for a down draft tube,if it had one stock. I just may have to fab one. The carb is stock but has an air filter K&N. The stock air pan is gone. Not too much on vacuum hoses just one for timing. The piston rings just may be worn and tired to have those fumes. I'll figure a way to route a hose.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode