Repair/Replace Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Repair/Replace Questions

Someone tell me!??? Is there any way to replace fan/pwr steering belts without removing the hood?

Also, what is the best method for replacing the windshield frame? Where does it bolt in? Do I have to remove the instrument panel?

Thanks for your help!

1979 Scout II
304 V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 01:22 PM

Re: Repair/Replace Questions

Is your hood damaged or have you not found the hood release yet? <g>

The hood release is located in the middle of the dash, to the right of the ashtray IIRC. Look for the only pull knob there and PULL.

The hood opens from the windshield area (hinges at the front) and sometimes needs a little help "popping" open depending on how well adjusted everything is.

As for the windshield frame..

You'd need to unbolt the hardtop first - 4 screws along the top of the windshield in particular, but I think you'd want to have the entire hardtop off (5 bolts along each side under the side windows).

With the hardtop off.. there are three bolts on each side holding the windshield in.

They're accessed through the door-hinge area. The top hole in the body (either at the hinge or there's on above it). You'll see two bolt heads - 9/16" sockets. Unbolt 'em w/o dropping the bolts into the body cavity.

One more bolt (per side) runs vertically for adjustment. If you look above the top of the "body" you'll see a space between the windshield frame and firewall. Look a little lower (inside the same hole you just pulled the two bolts from) and you'll see a vertical bolt. Remove that.

You'll probably also need to remove the cowl-plate (just in front of the windshield) - just some philip's head screws. Also be sure to unplug the windshield wiper motor (on the passenger side, under the windshield, almost hiding in the fender). There's a disconnect plug on the wiring harness. Also pull the windshield washer hose from the nozzles.

Then lift the windshield frame up n' away - don't drop it!

-Tom

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your reply Tom. I know how to lift the hood, I meant without pulling the hood off the Scout. The way it opens in front there, I'm having a hard time reaching in. Is there a good method for replacing them without having to pull the hood off?

1979 Scout II
304 V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 03:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never pulled the hood to replace belts. just get up in there from the side you may need to stand on a milk box but hey it can be done :-) Good luck

Bindernut
Boys drive toys Men drive Scout's!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 12:13 PM

I, too, have never had a real "issue" with changing the belts. The hood opens pretty darn far and access to the engine is pretty good.

Just lean over the fender and fish the belts around the fan and drop 'em down onto the crank pulleys. I don't think it requires a contortionist.

OTOH, tightening the alternator belt with Air Conditioning is a pain in the rear.. I usually crawl under the Scout and put a prybar against the tensioning "boss" and pry the alt away.. then tighten the adjuster.

As Whyle mentioned, a stool might be necessary to get the reach you need to get to the belts. I've found a good step stool is very handy on my 4"/33-shod SII.

I've also been known to just sit on the fenders/cowl and climb right inside depending on what I'm doing.

Of course, maintenance doesn't get any easier than the one-piece tilting front-clip on my race Scout. Hood, grille, fenders, etc. all tilt 180 degrees forward. :-)

If you think you need a *little* more room under the hood to get to those belts - you can "pop" the hood retension arm (the thing that locks it open on the passenger side) out of the sliding bracket and get the hood open a few more inches. I would recommend using a rope or ratchet strap or something to make sure the hood doesn't try to open 180-degrees and bend something, but you can get a few more inches of room.

That's how I remove radiators from the Scout - open the hood a little extra far and the radiator *will* come straight up n' out. I've done that too many times. :-(

-Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode