real basic questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

real basic questions

I'm looking for a camping car for myself and 2 kids, and budget is a consideration. How much gas mileage does the V8 get? (prefer manual transmission) If I go for a 6- or 4-cylinder engine, which is most dependable? I don't think I need a lot of power, I'd just like to throw a kayak on the roof, or maybe tow a small (18 ft) boat, in Florida, so I need to get through sugar sand. Are scouts noisy on the highway? Is it relatively painless to find mechanics for them? Can I get small parts -- ie, fuses, wipers, ect. at local auto stores, or do you have to order all parts special? Can you add good shocks to them to improve the ride?
answers to any or all questions appreciated.
Thanks,
Lauren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: real basic questions

Go find your self a light duty Chev. 1/2 ton pickup with 305 v8. you get about 17 to 20 mile per gallon without a load. You can haul your boat. Put rack on it for the Kayak.
Scout can be pain in the butt, if you can't do the work yourself. And parts can be hard to find, some parts house will look you like you are dum. Most younger people don't even know what a scout is, let a lone how to find parts for it. But I love them and love give to some part house hell.

Riolobo.............Nev.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Riolobo is right chevy parts are cheaper and easier to find and mechanics every where have already worked on them. The onlyother thing that I would like to add is that you might consider a Chevy Blazer and make sure that it is four wheel drive not all blazers are with good tires on it you should be ok in the sand, and by the way a GMC Jimmy is exactly the same vehicle with differant emblems on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure where you guys are, but I've been driving the same Scout for 15 yrs. We've had better luck with IH than GM. But that notwithstanding, if you find a good Scout with a decent body that has had it's basic maintenance kept up with, you'll get more life than what a lot of trucks out there today can give. Especially for the money. Sure parts for GM/Ford/Honda are easier to get, but a knowledgable Car Quest type store, or even some International dealers, will get you whatever you need. If that doesn't work, there is a HUGE IH/Scout following. Best online source is probably www.binderbulletin.org

As for repairs, find yourself a good shop and stick with them. IH engines are very common in larger trucks and there were a lot of 'em made! They're pretty basic. With a good set of wrenches you can do almost anything. But if you're not a do-it-yourselfer, a good mechanic can fix just about anything on there. Ever looked at an IH engine, then at a new Chevy or Ford? Try to find the sparkplugs, or the aircleaner, or the oil filter....which is easier? Besides finding a good mechanic and local parts source is as important as basic maintenance, IMO.
Good luck,
Jason
2-Scouts
1-Jeep ZJ
2-GMs

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 01:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

get a scout with a 6 cylinder if you can find one. i have a 72 and i get 18 mpg. i pull a 1200 lb trailer with a 4000 lb forklift behind it all the time with no problems and still get 15 mpg! if you leave it stock and it is in good repair they do fine on the road, to about 65 mph, and off road they beat the heck out of a blazer. most parts can still be had at a reasonable price,though probably more than a chevy,andyou can get anything you need for them if you shop the specialty parts houses. all i own are ihc's, i have 3 right now,a loadstar 1600,a 67 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup,and a scout(this is my four'th scout).i won't own anything else. if you get a good rig to start with and take care of it you'll never be sorry, and you'll probably become an ihc fanatic too!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me explain why I said to get something like a Chev, Ford, etc. I have 4 children and the last thing you want is to brake under and be lay up for 4 or 5 days waiting on parts and repair work to be done. Paying for motel rooms, restaurants, does on help either. If you can't get 4x4 for the sand, put on wider tire like 70 style, let the air under so you have a wider foot prints. Then when you get back to hard top air back up. My self I would get auto tranny because you can put just enough power to the wheels to move the vehicle and not so most to spin the tires. Is real hard to do with manual tranny. You will better gas milage manual tranmission, and yes there are a lot of pro and cons on this. I have drove my Scout day after day and never worry about a brake under with kids in the car ,but that was when parts were eaily able to be gotten. Now I drive a Jeep Wagoneer and have the Scout when I real want to get off in the hard back country. Here in Nevada you can be a 100 miles from no where. Any more that where I spend most of my time.

Riolobo............Nev.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode