345 vs 304 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

345 vs 304

I went to the binder bulliten FAQ for info on V8 engine id. I can't seem to locate the id tab that says either 304 or 345. Can anyone give me some help. I'm new to all of this and still learning my way around the motor. I've looked from the top and from the bottom. Even put my head up under the front end as far as it would go and I still can't find the id tab. Do I need to remove anything??? Any halp is greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 345 vs 304

Quote from the BB FAQ
"The V-345 is slightly taller to accommodate the slightly longer stroke, but I couldn't tell them apart by just looking. I'd probably believe the lineset ticket over what someone trying to sell a used car said, but the size and engine serial number are stamped on the passenger side of the block. There is a flat pad under the #2 cylinder that has either V-304 or V-345 with the engine serial number on the second line. This pad is just to the rear of the fuel pump and at the same level as the pump mounting bolts. The pad appears to sit on the front corner of the motor mount. That should identify it for sure."

It's very easy to find this tab, with the engine out and heads off that is.

You can still get an eye ball on it though. Once you locate the tab you might need a mirror to see the numbers.

Good luck

If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

measure in between the valve covers.If memory serves 304 is about 11 3/4 inches 345 is about 12 inches. if it a 4bbl it is a 345 the factory never made a 304 4bbl intake. also check the throttle return srping tab.This is located on the drivers side of the intake and should be stamped what size motor it is
Erick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if your engine is as gunged as much as mine is/was, finding the tab by the engine mount isn't easy. i'd just take off a vavle cover. engine size is stamped in the head. hope this helps.

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6
'75 IH Scout II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode