Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   IH Scout & Trucks (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/)
-   -   Hello from a new member (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/45206-hello-new-member.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2000 07:10 PM

Hello from a new member

Hello,

I just purchased my first 4WD vehicle this summer, a 1979 Scout II, and recently came across this web site. So, hello! I hope to learn more about my vehicle here, but let me start out with a pretty basic question: what sort of gas mileage can be expected from a '79 Scout (standard trans., 345 V8). I'm getting anywhere between 8 and 10 MPG for the most part. Yikes! Actually, it doesn't matter too much, since I didn't purchase this vehicle for commuting or anything like that. I'm only using it to have fun up in the mountains!

Mark

Andytron 11-08-2000 10:26 PM

Re: Hello from a new member

I'm proud of you. You filled out your profile without being asked. Good for you.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-09-2000 03:32 AM

your doing good 10 mpg is that off road? on road you might get 15.

Bindernut

**DONOTDELETE** 11-09-2000 11:17 AM

10 MPG is more of an average. I think I might get 12 or so pure highway driving, and down in the 6 to 8 range off road (well, not exactly "off road" - I try to stay on things that show at least some semblance to a road).

So, what do these little descriptions after our usernames mean - stranger, newbie, enthusiast, etc.? I'm guessing it is based on how many times you have posted. Is that close?

**DONOTDELETE** 11-10-2000 02:35 AM

yep thats what they mean,
I get about 20 mpg on the flat land but i got the 196 4 in my 68 Scout 800 with 3.73 gears and a four speed get about 12 to 15 off road it's the hills that get me, will if I want to go up them fast. but I don't mind slow :-)

Bindernut

**DONOTDELETE** 11-24-2000 02:46 PM

WOW...ONLY 8-10 MPG, I GET @ 45 MPG...YOU SHOULD GET RID OF THAT THING NOW!!!

SELL IT TO ME FOR $100!!!!

-STEVE

(LOL!)

view my scouts at: www.easyfoto.com/scoutpix

ACTUALLY I AM SET UP MUCH RICHER THAN YOU ARE WITH A BORED OUT 318 (DODGE) RCHSTR Q-JET 4 BBL CARB, EDELBROCK PERFORMER INTAKE MANIFOLD.....

I GET @ 6 MPG IF I OPEN UP THE CARB (HWY SPEEDS @ 90 NO PROB) BUT ON A LIGHT FOOT HAVE GOTTEN 12-ish MPG.

OFFROAD OR IN SNOW EXPECT HALF OF YOUR BEST MPG.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-07-2001 10:20 PM

How'd you bolt up a 318? Change bell housing? Are the engine mounts compatible? I'm a new scout owner myself. I have a '63