Dana 44 - Scout vs. Travelall - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Dana 44 - Scout vs. Travelall

I've got a pair of axles from a early 70's travelall. The springs were mounted on top, but other then that what is the difference between these and the scout dana 44s? Are the springs mount further out on a travelall? Are the axles a little bit wider? Also the front axle has drum brakes, can I use scout disks and convert them over or is there more to it then that?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 02:00 PM

Re: Dana 44 - Scout vs. Travelall

The Travelall axle should be wider by a few inches.

I have specific experience with a 69-73, but I think the earlier (from 61?) were pretty much the same..

The Travelall uses 2.5" wide springs vs. the 2" Scout II springs.

My understanding is the T'all front perches are the same width as a '73-87 Chevy pickup. I KNOW that the Chevy pickup (a 1974 version in my case) will bolt right into a Scout II without moving the perches or springs. I just had to do some grinding on the sides of the perches so my U-bolts would sit flush against the narrower springs.

I would expect the T'all front end to be no different.

The rear end has the perches spaced wider apart. I had to move the perches inboard when I put a T'all rear '44 under my Scout II SOA style. I also had to do some grinding to them, again, to sit the U-bolts against my 2" wide springs.

Earlier D44s may use the small U-joints.

The truck/T'all D44s also used 19-spline long stub-shafts and internal style hubs - so the SII external hubs won't bolt up.

You'll need some steering linkage stuff done, too. I chose to retain the stock tie-rod and used a cross-over steering setup with a custom GryphinRacing.com draglink.

If it's an open knuckle front axle, you could swap the SII knuckles, stub-shafts (if the '44 uses big-joints, use SII D44 stubs. If it's a small-joint '44, use SII D30 stub shafts), hubs, rotors, etc. This will void any chance of doing a cross-over steering setup, and you'll need a "Z" draglink (custom length) from GryphinRacing instead. You might get away with re-using the stock T'all tie-rod with the SII knuckles.

The http://www.BinderBulletin.org published an article on converting an early 70s Travelall 4x4 to disc brakes a while ago - reprints are available. They used F150 hubs, with modified SII rotors, Chevy caliper brackets and calipers.

The problem is the Travelall used a 6-bolt spindle while the SII used an 8-bolt setup, so your disc stuff won't swap straight across as easily ad you might hope.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

How are the axles stubs different? The spline count or the length?
Would it be possible to use a dana 30 stub and then get a u-joint to fit the two together? I've heard they make u-joints like that to fit two different sized joints together for driveshafts, could the same thing work here?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 04:41 PM

Spline count and length are different.

Travelall (and Chevy/Ford/Dodge/FSJ) use long 19-spline stubs. Scout II/CJ use the shorter 27-spline stubs.

Two 27-spline stubs exist (maybe more). Small-joint and big-joint. Small-joint = all D30s and some D44s, big-joint is a '44 only item.

the 19-spline long stubs come in both small and large U-joint varieties.

>Would it be possible to use a dana 30 stub and then get a
>u-joint to fit the two together?

I don't know of the availability of the right U-joint, but yeah.

The right part does exist to do this with standard U-joints, too.

Small-U-joint D44, use Dana 30 stubs. If it's a big-joint D44, use 74+ SII D44 front stubs.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 04:44 PM

Spline count and length are different.

Travelall (and Chevy/Ford/Dodge/FSJ) use long 19-spline stubs. Scout II/CJ use the shorter 27-spline stubs.

Two 27-spline stubs exist (maybe more). Small-joint and big-joint. Small-joint = all D30s and some D44s, big-joint is a '44 only item.

the 19-spline long stubs come in both small and large U-joint varieties.

>Would it be possible to use a dana 30 stub and then get a
>u-joint to fit the two together?

I don't know of the availability of the right U-joint, but yeah.

The right part does exist to do this with standard U-joints, too.

Small-U-joint D44, use Dana 30 stubs. If it's a big-joint D44, use 74+ SII D44 front stubs.

When I put a '74 Chevy D44 under my Scout, I used the Chevy spindles, Chevy calipers and brackets, Chevy stub-shaft, but switched to Ford F150 hubs, bearings, and rotors.

I bought the Chevy '44 for $150 spindle to spindle, new loaded calipers were $30-$40, and the used F150 hubs n' rotors set me back $50 each.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode