1962 Scout Carb Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1962 Scout Carb Problems

I'm having some problems with my 1 barrel holley carb on my 1962 Scout. I just recently had the engine rebuilt, and took the thing 4x4ing and it behaved horribly. I'm not sure if my scout just doesn't have any power, or if it is carb problems. I'm hoping it's carb problems.

When climbing hills, it feels very under powered. I'll have it floored and, depending on what gear I'm in it'll go slower and slower then stall. Even driving through the hill on a gravel road, I'll have to down shift to second gear from third (which isnt fun), and then even in second it goes slower and slower (with it pinned). I just can't believe they'd make a vehicle so gutless??? Please somebody tell me I have carb problems.

Are there rebuild kits available? Is there ways to adjust this simple carb? How would an improperly adjusted float affect performance.

James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1962 Scout Carb Problems

I can lite the tries on my 68 scout with a 196, Check to see if your fuel pump is putting out 5 ps also some times the inlet to carb will get a small object stck in it and fload out the carb easy fix and yes you can still get a rebuild kit for it $12.00 I have goten mine at auto zone in Ca,check your points 17mm and timing set at btd 5 .what gear ratio do you have ? what size tries, My 62 had 154 with 4.27 and a 3 speed I ran 31 on it any thing bigger just lags it down.

Bindernut
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2000, 12:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. My '62 has 4.27's and old 7.50x16 bias ply tires My goal is to run 33x9.50's someday if the little 152 will put out sufficiently. Is there noticeable power difference between the 152 and 196? Will a 196 bolt right in replace of a 152? Also are there 4 speed trannys that will bolt in place of the 3 speed (is this a good idea?).

I will definitely have to get that carb kit, and also I think my vacume advance isn't working.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2000, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes a 196 pumps out 111 horse power @ 4000 rpm to the 87 of a 152 . and a tilted 196 will bolt right up. I whould get the 4 speed thats what I have now sure beats the 3 that I had in my 62. 7.50 tires are to tall for the 152 I would try 30's you will get beter power from them then 33's but thats up to you
I run 6.50 16's the are 31 inches tall wich is just about right with 3.73 grears. check out my page:
http://www.geocities.com/whyle98. Iam glad to help any why I can I have had 5 scouts all from the 60's all had the 4 cylinder go with the 4 speed unless you find and overdrive for your three. I have seen one and they work great.you should have the delco remy distributor same as a chevy so if you need a vacume advance it will be easy to find. Keep on scouting

Bindernut
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2000, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your url. Your Scout looks great! 33's are a bit extreme for a little 152, I agree.

Do you recommend the one barrel holley that I have? Is there a better 2 barrel or something out there that would improve performance?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 02:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard that you can take a head from a 304 and bolt it up to the 152 for maybe 5 more horse power but I never seen it done. I have the 1 barrel holly on mine but I have had a bigger one barrel carter on one you use the holly base and a little adjusted ments worked fine think it came off a 6 cylinder chevy you will never get a lot of speed form the 152 and a 3 speed jut a lot of power they are not high rmp motors
but will put out some torque 135 @ 2400 rpm.mine is 180 @ 2000 rpm they will pull a full size chevy out of the mud I have many a times there just not real fast my 62 top speed on flat land was 50 but I could push it to 60. as for the hills they will go up any just not fast I live in the foot hills and thqts all i do is go up hills best is 35 with a running start but am talking about perrty step grades . Good luck if you need any thing just drop me a line I will be glad to help you out if I can. Keep on scouting!!

Bindernut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode