Scout Dana 44's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2000, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Scout Dana 44\'s

Hi, I don't own a Scout but I've been looking at getting some axles off a 60's or 70's model IH Scout (has Dana 44 f/r) to swap into my Suzuki Samurai. The wheel pattern is the same,5 on 5.5, as the Samurai's. I need some wider and stronger axles, the stock ones on my Zuk are too small. The question I have is I've heard that the Scout axles came with Zero-degree caster from the factory. Does anyone know if that is true? And if so, how hard is it to cut and re-weld the axle? How strong are the Scout axles? Can thay handle a 4.3L V6 with 36" TSL's on? Thanks for your help!

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2000, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout Dana 44\'s

I laugh at the fact that you ask if the axles can handle a v6... scouts had optional big block v8s in them (345 was the biggest motor), HEAVY engine.... 70's scouts have dana 44 front and rear, only the scout II's, and the early scout II's had a 44 rear but a 30 front. Most scouts came with 0 degrees of caster, and you can buy shim bolts for the yoke that add a little caster, but I have never had any problems with mine. Your samuri looks rollover prone as it is now, you may not listen to my opinions, but my opinion is that a samuri has way too short of a wheelbase for what you are proposing (remember that lifts are relative to the vehicle, your lift would be near 20" on a full sized rig, proportionally speaking), also, if you don't specifically want a dana 44, the ford 9n rearend has the same lug pattern and is about the same width (in the 1/2 ton trucks it has spacers on either side that make it seem wider, the spacers attach outside the drums and so can easily by removed (and have to be removed for brake service when used) and would also allow you to "widen" the rearend if you wanted to.

As to rewelding, a kid at my school with a samuri was almost killed when the left front soa weld came off on the highway... he crossed the oncoming traffic and still doesn't know how he missed that oncoming semi truck... be careful... and also... with 36" tires, how close will the front and back tires be to touching? Just try to remember how high your center of gravity will be, it will be way on up there, and all you have to do to roll is get the COG to pass over the tires... you will not be able to go as far over sideways as a stock samuri...

Ryan M.
1978 Scout II (dana 44 front and rear), 345 (5.7L) V8, 4" TriAngle spring lift... still as stable as ever on the road
31x10.50 tires until they wear our and then onto 32x11.50 (like to leave room for flexing)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2000, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Okay, sorry for the silly V6 question! As for the Wheelbase thing I don't just plan on dropping the f/r Dana 44's in and call it good! Hell NO! I know the wheelbase is going to be too small! I'm not that stupid! I'm planning on adding 7" to the rear and 4" to the front, I prerfer 90 to 95" wheelbase but with what I just said that would put me at 91" Not bad for a SUZUKI SAMURAI! As for the flipping over thing... I'm going to put 35" tires on not the 36" tires I have on it now, sorry I didn't tell ya that! I know a few people that have done a dana 44 conversion but never used Scout axles, they used Waggneer axles and they are just about the same width! The Samurai will look somewhat like the pic I sent... but not with coils! Thanks for all your help! I'll look into the Ford 9" rear!

This is a pic of a Zuk with Waggneer Dana 44's 62" wide or somewhere around that, this Zuk has 35" tires on and I don't see a flip Hazard!

This is the same Samurai with 36" tires! Need I say more!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 02:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wider is better .. If you are going to add to your frame why not start with a scout frame and put your body on it then you would have your 100 inches, use a Scout 1 frame. you do have a nice rig but I will stick to my Scout..Mine is stock with 9.5 inche clearance a 68 modle 800

Bindernut
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMHO the scoutII 44s are more trouble then they're worth from a swapping stand point. You already named the easiest choice, Wagoneer 44s. At least here in Phoenix the Wagoneer axles are must easier and cheaper to find then the Scout2s. You can easily convert the Wagoneer front over to 5 lug using some standard Ford parts, and I think Moser charges $40 to redrill the rear shafts. Also if you get the rear out of a quadratrac Wagoneer it'll be offset to line up to a Sami tcase. The Scout 2s use odd ball knuckles while the Early wagoneers have the flat top knuckles that make high steering conversions easy. the Scouts use external hubs that love to lose bolts while the wagoneers use internal hubs that are much stronger. The Wagoneers are easy to spring over while the scouts require a lot of grinding. The Scouts have 0 degrees of caster and will need to be cut and turned while the Wagoneers have 7 degrees of caster. About the only advantage I can think of to the scout axles is the narrower distance between the spring perches. If you can find Scout2 axles cheap and don't mind all the work that goes into the swap then go nuts. Another option is to cut down a Chevy 44 to get the diff right where you want it. these axles have the cast in perch on top of the axle. Personally for my Scout I'm using a wagoneer front and a scout 2 rear since I have a centered rear tcase output. Personally unless you can afford to swap in a Currie high pinion unit I'd steer clear of the Ford 9", the pinion is just too low for the rocks. If you do decide to go with a 9" look under 1/2 ton vans, they are scout 2 width and 5 on 5.5". In anycase opinions are like a$$holes so I'll shut up. Best of luck on your project.
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Travis, Thanks for all your in-put! It helped out a lot! I think I'll try to find some Waggneer Dana 44's I never Knew that I had to do all that [censored] to the axles, I know that it has 0 degrees of caster and the rear is not off-set like I need! But all the other crap, seems too much for me! The only thing is the Scout axles are only $175.00! I can't find any J**P axles for that cheap! Anyways, I'll keep looking for some! The Damn Ford 9" rear SUCKS! I don't like it, just my opinion!
Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode