Trailering a Scout II - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 04:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trailering a Scout II

I have a 1980 Scout II that I'm putting on a 2 wheel U-Haul dolly tomorrow and towing about 400 miles. This'll lift the front wheels off the ground but the rear wheels will still be rolling. Do I have to disconnect the driveshaft? If not, how should I have the transmission and transfer case? I read the FAQ on the Binder Bulletin about flat-towing, but that all implied that the front wheels will be turning as well. I need answers ASAP as I'm leaving tomorrow around noon. Thank you all in advance...you all have been a real good help.

The Warden

1984 Ford E-350 6.9l
1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trailering a Scout II

Yes, you need to disconnect the rear driveshaft. When I flat-tow mine, I just disconnect the axle side of the driveshaft, and tie the driveshaft up out of the way.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trailering a Scout II

Thank you for your response. I just got back. Towed the Scout on it's rear wheels on a U-Haul dolly with a swivel platform. I disconnected the rear driveshaft, and left it in 4 wheel and 1st so the tranny was holding the front wheels steady (hubs locked). Duct-taped the driveshaft and bearings to the exhaust pipe so nothing would go flying. I told the U-Haul guys I was towing my mom's Pontiac, and, since I was driving a 1 ton van, they didn't question it. Everything worked perfectly. Sad thing is, I was towing my Scout halfway to it's new home. It'll be picked up by the new owner next week. I'm now legally and technically without a Scout, and this probably won't change anytime soon. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Sometimes, practicality sucks...but it needed to happen. I'll be around occasionally (I actually have an IH engine right now; it's just in a Ford van...ironic since my Scout had a Nissan diesel), but not as often as before...and I will be back. Keep on truckin'...

The Warden

1984 Ford E-350 cargo-turned-conversion van; 6.9l, C-6, 3.54 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode