Holes in a 345??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Holes in a 345???

started tearing down my 345 yesterday and under the plate under the intake manifold there is a hole. two actually that i don't think are supposed to be. towards the back there's a ridge. in front of it is one that i know is supposed to be there but behind the ridge is another that is about an inch wide and an two inches wide and all jagged. another is on the front wall on the right and is roughly the same size as the other and jagged as well. last time i ran it, it ran fine and i don't see them causing any problem, just increased oil flow but is it a sign that it ate itself at some point? and if you're wondering, yes this is the first engine i've torn apart with the exceptions of a lawn mower and model airplane engines. thanks for any of your help.

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 03:40 PM

Re: Holes in a 345???

I think the holes you're talking about are supposed to be there. I was concerned when I built my 345, too!

If I recall, there's one hole in a "vertical" face near the front of the motor, by the distributor area. A second hole towards the rear of the motor goes from the "valley" down into the crankcase.

They're jagged for some reason or the other, but the holes were made by IH when they cast the block.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I saw them and they concerned me somewhat so it's good to know they're there for a reason. So does anyone want a 345 out of a '75 Scout II? I've also got a 727 Torqueflite!

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

where at?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hillsville Virginia

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode