permanent anti-freeze - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

permanent anti-freeze

i recently bought a 76 scoutII and i was going to change the anti-freeze for the winter when i saw that IH used a permanent anti-freeze.---Also, i've noticed that the temp gauge has been staying at a higher level than it did at first and i was wondering if the thermostat was sticking(it seems that for the most part everything is original). However, the oil pressure gauge stays pretty low and i thought it might be the oil pump.---Back to my original question..i've never heard of permanent anti-freeze and even though the label says not to drain it i'm wondering if i should just replace it with regular anti-freeze??
I know my question was somewhat convoluted but if anyone can answer it i would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: permanent anti-freeze

'Regular' anti freeze is the same as permanent anti-freeze- and permanent when they talk about anti-freeze is just a little more 'permanent' than the one your mom gets. Seriously, if you have an IH Scout, that antifreeze has been changed by now, if only by default (having to change a hose or thermostat, etc), and if it hasn't it should have been long ago. Antifreeze really ought to be changed about every two or three years; the closest thing to permanent they have is some of the newer extended life stuff, that is supposed to be good for 5 years or 100K miles. If I was you, I would NOT go to the extended life antifreeze this late in the game; it is formulated differently, and there is no need to tempt fate on a 20+ year old engine.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: permanent anti-freeze

IH put the label becuase the antifreeze did not have to be changed when going between winter and summer (this was when some people still did this, IE used different types of fluid)

-Ryan
'78 SII

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode