Need Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help!

I need HELP... I just bought a Scout and need information. Here are the stats:
79 IH Scout II, 304 V8, Auto. Got if from a guy who I trust, it was his dads who passed away last fall, garaged since new, only driven in summer (he wintered in FL) has 63K org. miles. completly stock. No apparent mechanical problems in two weeks of driving. Plaid interior, factory air (not cold), power steering and brakes, exterior is gray with wood stickers, no rust (yea), some dents and scraches.

I have the following questions:

1. What is a vehicle like this worth? (just checking to see if I got swindled
2. Whats the max size tires with no lift?
3. What transmission/transfer case is this, and are there any problems?
4. What is the towing cap. of this vehicle?
5. What areas are weak and need upgrading? This is my daily driver and Jeep tow vehicle, should not spend any time off road except in emergency rescue situtations (like my Jeep breaksdown!)
Thanks in advance, and for helping a Jeep guy!

Archie
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8 3 spd, Rancho 2.5 lift, Goodyear Tracker AT 10-15LT. "JeepHeap"
79 IH Scout, 304 V8 Auto, Stock

I can email picts if requested

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help!

1. What is a vehicle like this worth? (just checking to see if I got swindled

No rust, runs strong, and in good shape? It's definitely worth money. Maybe as much as $3,000 or $4,000. That's just an EWAG, though.

2. Whats the max size tires with no lift?

31" tires work for me. I have a stock height '80 Scout II, and the 31" Big-O tires I have haven't rubbed any...but I wouldn't go any bigger

3. What transmission/transfer case is this, and are there any problems?

Transmission is the venerable Chrysler Torqueflite 727. IMHO, one of the two best transmissions built (right alongside the Ford C-6). Keep fluids happy and you shouldn't have any problems. Transfer case should be a Dana 20.

4. What is the towing cap. of this vehicle?

I have a step bumper, and no receiver. Using the bumper, I've pulled cars and boats with no trouble (even with an underpowered diesel). Suspension didn't even sag. Only time I've ever seen my Scout's suspension sag was when I was hauling about $10,000 worth of parts to a Cummins V-12 marine diesel. Lots of stuff, and most of it required multiple people to lift. Within limits, I wouldn't worry about overloading a Scout. I've carried 3 727 autos in the back area without seeing any noticeable difference in ride (I used to work for Anything Scout) or sag or anything else. I don't have any numbers, but believe me, it's capable.

5. What areas are weak and need upgrading? This is my daily driver and Jeep tow vehicle, should not spend any time off road except in emergency rescue situtations (like my Jeep breaksdown!)

95% of my IH experience is with the diesel engines, so this is mostly hear-say.
You have a '79; that means you probably have the "gold-box" ignition. From what I've heard, these are notorious for being problematic. So much so that some people retrofit a points ignition system. Also, the starter is close to the exhaust manifold; sometimes the starter won't engage when the engine's hot. Other than that, they're pretty bloody reliable...so much so that I'm looking for an IH gasser (this coming from someone who, a year ago, swore he'd never own a gasoline engine again).

One more thing...there is such a thing as a vehicle having too few miles on it. I had a '65 Chevelle that only had 50,000 miles on it. I made the mistake of driving it too much and too hard, and 10,000 miles later I couldn't trust the engine to even go to school. Moral of the story: BE CAREFUL for a while. Bring up the usage gradually. If so, especially with an IH engine, you'll have many years of good service.

One last thing...you see ANY rust, fix it ASAP. If you do that and keep the engine happy, I'm sure you'll see many years of trouble-free service from your rig.

Keep on truckin'!!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU

looking for a running IH pickup for trade
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 06:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, thanks for the imput! When I said no rust, that was compared to my Jeep! I do have one hole just below the windshield about the size of a quarter and the passenger side bottom pannel in front of the door is a little soft (dollar bill size), but thats about it. Guess I got a good deal for $1000.
I still need some more information on the towing capacity. I want to flat tow my Jeep at 3800 lbs. I've seen on the list that people use Scouts to tow Scouts and, AFAIK, my Scout is 6700 lbs(?), so it shouldn't be a problem? Thanks again!

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, 2.5" Rancho Lift, Rust. "JeepHeap"
79 IH Scout II, 304 V8 Auto, Stock.

Round Headlights have more fun.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$1,000 for that?!?!? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I've seen non-running trucks sell for more than that! Believe me, you got one HELL of a deal. I'm envious...I paid twice that for a much rustier truck that's now dead a year and a half later. The guy you bought it from didn't know what he had...

I'm curious...I'm guessing your Jeep has an AMC 304, but I gotta ask...am I right, or did you use an IH 304? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The rust doesn't sound like a biggie, but I would take measures to fix it now while it's still not a biggie. At least your body mounts aren't trashed.

When I mentioned that I've pulled cars with my Scout, one of them was a '92 Chrysler LeBaron, which I think was actually heavier than my Scout. If not, definitely very close. I wouldn't even think twice about hooking that Jeep up. Not that much heavier than a VW Bug (another car my Scout's pulled), and my Scout didn't even know it was there.

Another thought would be to turn the Jeep into the tow vehicle and use the Binder as the trail rig [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] j/k [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck! Hey, if you want, go and check out my Scout page: http://home.earthlink.net/~calicosmith/ih.htm

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU

looking for a running IH pickup for trade
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll tell you the story of how I lucked into this Scout. A fellow engineer I work with told me his father-inlaw had a Scout for sale that runs. It turned out the be his grandfather-inlaws who had passed away last fall. I had just gotten rid of a 83 K5 Blazer that had no rust, but ran like CRAP! So I still had the thousand in cash. As soon as I drove the Scout, I knew that it would at least get me the 5 blocks to and from work (the blazer was looking sad, and only after owning it a month!) So, I told the guy that I had one thousand dollars in cash, but no more. He thought for a second and finally agreed. I went home, got the cash, came back and drove her home. Lucky I guess, I paid $1,200 for my Jeep and its rusty and I couldn't drive it for two years! I'll attach a typical Jeep picture so everyone can see why I need a tow vehicle!
Those are real, origional wheels and TIRES! yes, that what I said, origional tires, bias ply 10-15LT. Wonder if they will fit on the scout? They are about 31x10 and same 5 lug rims....

Yes my Jeep has the original 304 V8, 3 spd tranny with the dana 20 transfer (same as my scout), good transfer, at least its a gear drive! I do have major transmission problems in the Jeep, all the more reason to tow it! (something about jeep changing the T-150 design during 78 and either adding or deleting a gasket between the tranny and transfer, all the fluid, if I drive for more than about 20 miles, drain into the transfer and the tranny burns up. As me how I know!)

I think I'll keep the Scout nice and trash the CJ. At least they both have round headlights!

Thanks again for the help.

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, 2.5" Rancho Lift, Rust. "JeepHeap"
79 IH Scout II, 304 V8 Auto, Stock.

Round Headlights have more fun.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-217537-Jeep02.jpg (50.4 KB, 9 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 12:24 PM

Towing

I use my lifted Scout II to flat-tow my sprung-over "race" Scout II.

The SII is officially rated to tow 5,000lbs on a Class III hitch. the factory step bumper is only rated to 2000lbs/200lbs tongue.

Biggest limiting factor I'm told is the short wheelbase. I know people how routinely tow a lot more than 5,000lbs with no apparent problems.

IMO, particularly since you're flat-towing, I don't see a problem with a little Jeep. There's no tongue weight per-se when flat-towing, which I think relieves some of the stress on the tow-rig. I WOULD make sure that your rear axle bearings are in good shape and torqued right before you try any long distance towing - I nearly lost a rear axle shaft last month when the bearing went south. I think the "wiggle" from flat-towing my racer accelerated the problem. Fortunately, I stopped before the axle shaft shot out of the Scout.

Your Scout probably doesn't weigh 6700lbs.. GVW is only rated to 6200!

5,000lbs I'd believe. My stripped-out race Scout II, with 180-ish-lbs of me in it, weighs in at 3862lbs at the races.

No top, no windshield, no doors, no interior, no dash. Hogged out front clip (titling, no inner fenders).. no heater, plastic bucket seats.. full rollcage (adds weight), full-width running gear, 304V8/727.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Towing

"95% of my IH experience is with the diesel engines, so this is mostly hear-say.
You have a '79; that means you probably have the "gold-box" ignition. From what I've heard, these are notorious for being problematic. So much so that some
people retrofit a points ignition system. Also, the starter is close to the exhaust manifold; sometimes the starter won't engage when the engine's hot. Other than
that, they're pretty bloody reliable...so much so that I'm looking for an IH gasser (this coming from someone who, a year ago, swore he'd never own a gasoline
engine again)."
This is from a little while ago on this thread, but I believe it should have a pertronix... like my '78 does...

Also: FYI someone mentioned to me once that during one period IH used the dana 44's (rear-end/front-end in scouts) for 3/4 ton pickups, so thet may not be too much of a problem....

and my told me he used to use our former terra ('79/ 345 / 727 Auto (im still upset that he sold it before I was even old enough to drive it) to two an ocean going fishing boat (small for ocean, big for lakes) on a trailer. He said it was no problem... the wheel base is different, but that's about it...

-Ryan Moore
1978 SII 4x4
345 V8, 727 Auto
4" TriAngle Spring lift
31x10.50 tires on Original Type 15x10 Black Spoke Rims (one set is original, have both white and black sets)
MILESTONE: 9/23/2000 Longest trip my scout has taken in over 10 years, 2 hours each way, plenty of down time before heading home...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, you got a super deal alright- and like they said, get on the rust quick before it spreads! The distributor is a PRESTOLITE, of which you can replace the internal module with a PERTRONIX. The Pertronix is the way to go if you have a problem; but with those miles, you may not have one for a long time. My 79 has around 130K on it, and I had to replace my distributor because the ignition module in the old one was going intermittent (just about blew my muffler off with the backfiring when it would cut out...). The one I put on was from my 79 parts truck with 91K, and it is running fine (but I do have a Pertronix in the goody bag waiting).

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 12:27 PM

Axles

IH used the D44 front/rear in the 1/2T pickups and Travelalls. The Heavy-Duty Tow Package netted a semi-float Dana 60 rear end.

FAIK, ALL of the 3/4T trucks had a '44 front with a 60 rear - unless they got upgraded closer to the 1T stuff with an IH Corporate rear end and (on the 1Tonners) a Dana 70 front.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello fellow Jeeper! That is a smokin' deal you got. Scouts have tons of low end torque and make excellent tow vehicles. I assume you'll use the truck a little offroad for camping and such so I suggest you do some minor frame reinforcing. The front spring hanger has a nasty tendency to remove itself from the frame. This happened to my friends '75 twice, this is a bad thing to happen in the middle of nowhere. Make up some triangular braces to gusset the hanger and you'll be styling. There's a write up either on this site or the binder bulletin which shows other weak points to the frame but those are the big ones in my expirence. Scouts are fine trucks I'm sure it'll serve you well.
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode