To buy or not to buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To buy or not to buy?

I have the chance to buy a 1977 Scout Traveler for $600. The guy needs the cash and is trying to get rid of it.

It is running and has recently (past year) been used for a 400 mile round trip. It's pretty much stock from the pictures I've seen (attached to message). I guess I can only attach one picture. If you want to see the other 3, please let me know, and I'll email them to you.

He has replaced both front fenders and the hood. He didn't get to finish the build. It has the usual cancer just behind the passenger door at the front of the rear wheel well. It also has some holes in the floorboard.

It has the Nissan 6-cyl diesel, 727 Auto., Dana 44's and he does not know if the transfer case is the Dana 20 or 300. I don't know either.

The truck is 400 miles away from me in Tennesse. That is my only reservation about it as I've never seen it in person or driven it.

What does everybody think? Am I a fool for not having picked it up, yet?

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-212574-Sep03^04.jpg (63.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:51 PM
Mac

Re: To buy or not to buy?

well first i would see if you know anybody in the area. And have them take a look at it. Hey is it on the East Coast. I am in NJ maybe I could look at it for ya. I bought 3 Scouts without looking at them and I was satisfided. Just have to be a little careful though.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

75 CJ5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's actually a short distance outside of Knoxville, TN. I don't know anyone in that area. It'd be a further drive for you than me. The guy seems to be OK as far as I can tell from our conversations.

Someone told me it would be the slowest truck I ever drove. I'm not worried about that as much. I can always replace the engine.

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm only replying to my own message to get the remaining pictures on the web for you guys to peruse.

Thanks again.

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-212621-Sep03^01.jpg (62.2 KB, 5 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Picture..

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-212623-Sep03^02.jpg (78.0 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Picture...

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-212624-Sep03^03.jpg (56.6 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're right; you'll likely never see a vehicle that accelerates slower. I have an '80 Scout II with the turbocharged version of the SD-33 diesel. I got to drive a '77 Scout II with your engine and auto tranny. Made my truck look like a NASCAR winner. I'm dead-serious when I say that the SD-33, when coupled with an automatic, makes a Volkswagen look fast. I'm sure it'd be worse with the slightly added weight of a Traveler. It's a good engine, though; gets great mileage and has good torque. First off, I think you should go for the truck; it looks to be in good shape. Second, if you do and want to change the engine, let me suggest a few things. First off, change the tranny before you do anything else. The Torqueflite 727 is one of the best autos ever built, but, believe me, with that diesel you'll be much happier with a T-19 4 speed. Second, if, even with that, you decide to change engines, stick with a diesel. I've heard a lot about diesel-to-gas conversions; they're usually more trouble than they're worth. If you really can't stand the performance (or lack thereof [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) of the SD-33, you could try finding a turbocharged SD-33T out of an '80 Scout or a forklift, and put that in. It would be a bolt-to-bolt swap, and you'll have a stronger engine with more power (101 hp versus about 90). If that isn't enough, you could go for a 6.9l or even a Cummins B series 4 cylinder. Just some thoughts...either way (especially if you go with a turbo Nissan), GET AN EGT GAUGE!! Best insurance you can get for a diesel engine, believe me.

Good luck!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

At the risk of exposing myself as not a car expert or mechanic, what is an EGT guage and what is it's purpose? My knowledge of diesel engines is much less than that of gas which itself is not that great. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah...

By the way, I am meeting the guy this Sunday to pick up the Scout. I am sort of nervous as this is my first Scout. I mean, come on people, you all remember your first time, right?

Kevin

Thanks,
Kevin Moran
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I remember the first time; wasnt' that long ago. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

EGT stands for Exhaust Gas Temperature. The gauge is sometimes known as a pyrometer. It's basically telling you what's going on in the combustion chamber. If the temperature's getting too high, that means that there's too much fuel going into the cylinders and getting burned, and you need to let off the throttle. Especially with the Nissan diesel, if you let the cylinders get too much fuel for too long (i.e. high EGT temps), chances are you're going to crack a piston. This happened to me 'cause the previous owner did something really dumb. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Basically, a sending unit's mounted in the exhaust pipe (the closer you can be to the manifold, the better). You'll actually be drilling in the pipe; really not that big a problem if you're careful about it. Then find a easy-to-spot place in the cab for the gauge. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And that's really it! If you put the sending unit (probe) right after the manifold, you should use 1100 as a maximum temperature (actually, going up to 1250 is safe, but I believe in a liberal cushion, especially with the engine at stake). You may want to double check those numbers; I know they're safe to use with an SD-33T (and pretty much all turbo diesels), but situations may be different without the turbocharger in the exhaust stream.

Any more questions, please feel free to post here...you can also E-mail me if you want. Good luck!!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU

looking at a '73 IH 1110 pickup as a trade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode