Pickup Stuff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pickup Stuff

I'm not completely new to the world of Binders (I have a diesel Scout II and spent a summer working for Anything Scout last year), but I don't know much about IH's older lines or their gas engines. I'm looking at a '70 IH 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton pickup with a 392 engine and auto tranny (what's the pickup #? I know that it was "1210" in later years, but I heard they changed it right around '70). Given the year, I don't know what tranny it has. I know that the Scouts used the Torqueflite 727 for most of their existence, but that earlier Scout II's used a Borg-Warner tranny that was apparently used exclusively by IH. Did the pickups/Travelalls use that tranny? If so, how easy or difficult is it to find parts for the tranny? Or, by some stroke of luck, did IH start using the Mopar tranny in the pickup line before they started using it with Scouts? Also, what rear end was used? I'm guessing a Dana 60, but again, I don't really know. What gear ratios were available? How difficult would it be to find a compatible tailgate (the truck currently has a full-size camper on it)? What does the body style look like (I haven't actually seen the truck yet; just basing off what I've been told). I've seen pictures of '71 pickups around the Internet, but nothing from '70. Haven't been able to find any archives either; everything seems to cover Scout 80/800's or Scout II's. Also, I've been told that the engine runs; was started yesterday after sitting for 2 weeks untouched. According to the guy who started it (he knows what he's doing), the engine ran good, although a bit rich (he thinks that may have been the choke; is it a manual choke or auto?). In addition, there was a loud exhaust leak...but no oil smoke. Is there anything else on the 392 that needs to be looked at? From what I've been told, that sounds real beautiful. Also, are there any pickup-specific rust trouble spots? I know the bad points on a Scout II (cowling, body mounts, etc); is there anything else to look for on a pickup? The guy said that rust didnt' look too bad; I don't want to get too optimistic, but this looks good. Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions, but what can I say? I'm curious. Thank you very much in advance! I wish I could fix my Scout...engine's really not happy, but I can't really afford the fix (besides, it's so rusted that it's not really worth it ). Hopefully, with this, I'll be able to stay in the IH world...I've been bitten. Keep on truckin'...

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nevermind...for now

The truck fell through. I have a lead to a couple more...so I will be back. Thanks for the responses (or the lack thereof ).

The Warden

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pickup Stuff

Sorry this is too late to help with that truck, maybe it will help on some of your new leads.

The body style changed in '69 and stayed almost the same through the end of production, so it should have the same body style as the '71 you saw pictures of. A tailgate off of any of the '69 or later pickups should work. Not sure about the transmission, but I'd expect it to be a Borg Warner (I have a 727 out of a '73 Travelall, and my '75 Travelall has a 727, but I don't think they'd switched by '70). Rear end should be a dana 60, but I don't know what ratios were available. The big rust trouble spot that I'm aware of (for Travelalls anyway) is on the inner fender where the hood hinges attach. I think the model number would be a 1200 (wouldn't a 1210 be 4wd?) - in the 50's, the model numbers were 100, 110, 120, etc. not sure when, but they switched to 1000, 1100/1110, 1200/1210, etc., in '74 they switched to 100 for half ton and 200 for 3/4, and in '75 the half ton changed to 150, while the 3/4 ton stayed 200.

Sorry I didn't reply early enough to help.

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't say anything earlier becuase I didn't know enough to help... BUT I do know the borg-warner tranny's do have rebuild kits availible if there are problems, also they are enclosed and have cooling fins... They may have switched with the pickups before the scouts... also becuase it is a heavier duty application it could have a different tranny...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 03:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you both for your (albeit late) responses.

At this point, I'm looking at two trucks. Both of them are local, fortunately, although I haven't seen either one (have seen a pic of the second truck).

One is a '70 1200D 2 wheel drive (different than the one I mentioned). I don't know what engine it has, but it has a manual tranny. What engines/trannys were available? I'm guessing engines were the 304, 345, and 392...was anything else available (266? 258 6 cylinder?)? Also what trannys were available? I'd guess a T-18 offhand, but I don't know if pickups were available with anything else (NP435, for instance).
The other truck is a '67 Travelall. I don't know the tonnage, but it's also 2 wheel drive and has a 304 and a 4 speed. Again, same tranny questions as above. Also, if it's a 3/4 ton, would this also have a Dana 60? I'm guessing yes; my dad's '67 Ford truck has one...but I've heard that Dana 44's were used even in 3/4 ton IH trucks in the '60's. Were Travelalls available with 3 row seating?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll come up with more questions
BTW, the price for either one would be my truck...af far as I know, straight trade.

The Warden

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 01:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

travellalls and pickups had 5 spd manual transmisions as options as well as the 4 spd wide and probobly the 4 spd close ratio trannys... there are 3 different "versions" of the 5 spd, each with different gearing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 02:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really...I didn't know that. I knew IH put 5 speed trannys on the gas engines, but I always figured it was a Loadstar tranny, and not available on something as "small" as a pickup/Travelall. I wonder if the pickup could have a 5 speed (I know the Travelall's a 4sp)... Thank you for that info!

The Warden

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more question...I found out the Travelall's a half-ton. How involved a process would it be to convert it to a 3/4 ton? Just brainstorming in advance...I still haven't seen either one. And I'm guessing it would be too difficult...especially on my budget (or complete lack thereof). Just want to know in advance...I like the idea of carrying people, but would prefer a 3/4 ton if everything else is equal.

The Warden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode