800A info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 06:32 PM
chasejeep7

800A info

My grandpa has had this scout behind his barn for as long as I could remember. The other day I was looking at it and caught scout-itis. I think it is a 800A because it was made on 10/69. It has a four cylinder engine. The body is in rough condition, but looked fun. There is a little topper over the cab.

Is this worth anything more because it was only produced for so long??
Also what kind of four banger is it??
What kind of transmission and case does it bear?? He said the front axle doesn't work in 4 wheel.
Is it worth trying to get it going?

If anyone could refer me to a website or even tell me some info on this puppy I would be very happy. I know little about scouts, please be gentle.

Thank you.
Chase

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 800A info

Since nobody's jumped in yet, I'll give it a shot - though I'm less knowledgeable about the
early Scouts, so I reserve the right to be corrected by somebody else:

I'd expect the engine to be an IH 196. Assuming it has a manual transmission, I'd expect
it to be either a T90 3 speed or a T18 4 speed. If it has an auto (was the auto available that
early?) I'd guess it would be the Borg Warner. Transfer case should be a dana 20.
As far as worth goes, my experience is that Scouts in exceptionally good condition
are collectable (and expensive), but those in average to poor condition are still pretty
cheap. But parts are also fairly cheap, so that makes it a great candidate as a trail
machine.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 11:04 PM
chasejeep7

Thanks for the feedback,

I also got in touch with a fellow by email. It seems that it has:
slant 4 152 engine
dana 27 front--not working
dana 44 rear
transfer case dana 20
four speed t-18 (4:1)

This weekend I think I will try to tackle it and get her going. It has probably been 10 years since it has been purring. Is this carb a stickler? Anyone have any suggestions for getting an engine going for such a long time?
Also I need a 69 grille, any good sources??

Thanks again,

Chase

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On a source for the grille, I would give Coonrod's a call - go to http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/ and
on the Vendor's page you'll find the phone #.

Later,
Curt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out www.binderbulletin.org. That is probably the biggest IH website going, they have a big FAQ section to cover engine, trans and T/C identification, and a bunch of other stuff. If it was built in late 69, it 'should' be a 70 800A (should say 800A on the dash panel, and have rectangular side marker lights front and rear- that is another FAQ at the binder bulletin site). I have a 70 also, mine has the Jeep six; I am not sure they still used the 152 in late 69/early 70, by then I beleive it was the 196, 232 Jeep six, and 304 V8. One thing IH did was use up leftover parts, so don't be surprised if you have a mix of features and it really doesn't fit all of the info given for a certain model. It is easier to put Scout II axles under one of those than it is to put them under a Jeep, and that would give you stronger axles, disc brakes (if you use a 74-up axle), and easier parts availability. HTH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode