Need Help with '78 Scout...long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help with \'78 Scout...long

I became the owner of a '78 Scout II ragtop when my husband passed away last year. Now, I love old trucks, had a couple of old Chevy's before ('57 and '61). But I no longer have the time to maintain old trucks anymore, nor the space, and my skills were pretty much minimal anyway. I intend on keeping the Scout just for fun, I love driving it, and will hopefully manage to get it restored further. It's already in pretty good condition and it's not for sale. My poor mechanic (good family friend) has been trying to do the work on it for me since my husband died, but he's mostly a foreign car mechanic, this really isn't his cup of tea.

Right now, I'm having a parts problem, and I think there might be a foreign car vs IH vocabulary problem. He says it needs what's called an "expansion brake unit" (what it says on the invoice), or if I heard him right on the phone, a "suspension" or "supression valve" and it's up to me to find it of course. I didn't write it down, grrr...! It's slowly leaking brake fluid out of the rear resevoir. I checked through the service manual, can't find a part by that name. This has caused problems before with us getting the wrong part. So, before I go calling all over the country, I want to make sure I'm looking for the right part! I can't reach him for a couple of days right now to ask further, so thought maybe I could save time and ask here. Does anyone know what this is?? What I should be asking for?

Does anyone have recommendations on a good general mechanic for my Scout in Los Angeles, preferably the coastal or west side areas??

The man who sold it to my husband once told me of a parts supply here in Los Angeles that bought out many of the IH parts when IH quit making the light trucks. I unfortunately can't find that info now. Research on the 'net leads me to a few Light Line parts distributors, but none in Los Angeles. Could be they're just not on the 'net. Does anyone have info on this parts supply? He's moved away and it will be a while before I can ask him again.

-Leilah's Mom
Always remembering and loving Nick.
http://www.wonderpuppy.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help with \'78 Scout...long

>Right now, I'm having a parts problem, and I think there might be a foreign car vs IH vocabulary problem. He
>says it needs what's called an "expansion brake unit" (what it says on the invoice), or if I heard him right on
>the phone, a "suspension" or "supression valve" and it's up to me to find it of course. I didn't write it down,
>grrr...! It's slowly leaking brake fluid out of the rear resevoir.
Those names aren't ringing any bells, but most of the parts of your brake system should be available
at your local NAPA store. The parts that NAPA doesn't carry can usually be mailordered from the
Light Line dealers. If you describe the part and it's location, I or others here might be able to put
a more common name on it (that might help the NAPA guy find it too). Expansion Brake Unit
sounds sort of like the power brake booster (the roundish soccer-ball sized thing that the master
cylinder bolts to), but that shouldn't be involved in a fluid leak. If it's leaking from the master
cylinder (where the reservours are) then the master cylinder is usually replaced or rebuilt as a
unit. If it's leaking at the rear wheel(s), then the wheel cylinder(s) are usually replaced or rebuilt
as a unit. There's also a proportioning valve that mounts below the master cylinder (the two metal
brake lines from the master cylinder go into it, and the three metal brake lines that go to the
wheels come out of it - don't know if they are available new, but used ones are easy to find.

Scouts West is a club for Scout owners, and the main chapter is in Fullerton - I'll bet they
could help you find someone near you who works on Scouts - see http://www.scoutswest.com.
Scouts West also has an email list that you could post the question to - info is at
http://www.onelist.com/community/ScoutsWest

Hope this helps.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help with \'78 Scout...long

Thank you VERY much, that's definitely worth checking out. !!

-Leilah's Mom
Always remembering and loving Nick.
http://www.wonderpuppy.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode