Disc Brakes aren't Brakin!!!!! HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 04:10 PM
Corey-88K5

Disc Brakes aren\'t Brakin!!!!! HELP

Well I got the new TSM Disc's in stalled and lines are blead, but now I've got a problem. The caliper pistons only move about 1/4" and then retract. They don't even contact the rotor enough to stop the rear axle when its off the ground and in drive. The main problem seems to be that the caliper pistion doesn't act like the front. When you pump the brakes they just go in and out, not contact the rotor than apply pressure to stop. Does anybody have any suggestions? These are 85 Eldorado calipers. If anybody has any knowledge of the rear system, please let me know. I tried to push the reset button on the proportion valve. I'm not sure if it has to be held in when doing this.

Thanks,

Corey
88K5

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Disc Brakes aren\'t Brakin!!!!! HELP

I had the same problem when I installed the TSM kit on my Scout. The reason for your problem is that the
Eldorado calipers are not self-adjusting like front calipers - they need to be adjusted after you install them.
To do this, remove the bolt that holds the parking brake lever on the caliper, and remove the lever. Then use
a wrench to tighten the shaft as far as possible - this will move the pads' resting position closer to the rotor.
You also need to have the ebrake cable installed, and use it periodically in order to keep the calipers adjusted
as the pads wear.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 03:48 PM
Corey-88K5

Re: Disc Brakes aren\'t Brakin!!!!! HELP

Thanks Curt.

I'll give that a try when I get a chance on Monday.

Corey
88K5

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode