Considering a Scout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Considering a Scout

I've been looking at purchasing a 4x4 recently. I've seen a thousand Jeeps...either overpriced as hell or rusty. Liked the old Broncos, can't find one for a reasonable price here.

I have seen a decent selection of Scouts though.

I have a few questions about these guys...
...are the relatively dependable? (use will be to pull a trailer of lumber, landscaping materials, etc).
...engines durable?

Hell...not sure what else to look for. Have seen a few w/o any cancer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm gotta fire up the browser and start reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Considering a Scout

DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions only - take them for what they're worth. I'll focus on the Scout IIs
since I'm more familiar with them - others will know more about the earlier Scouts (80/800) if you're more
interested in them.

> I have a few questions about these guys...
> ...are the relatively dependable? (use will be to pull a trailer of lumber, landscaping materials, etc).
> ...engines durable?
Scout IIs came with IH 196 I-4, AMC 258 I-6, and IH 304 and 345 V8s. IH engines are very
durable (and very heavy) - they were designed and built to go into much bigger trucks, and
to last for many 100k's of miles. They won't have the top end power that a SBC or Ford has,
but they have more torque at low RPMs, where you can really use it. I've never owned a
Scout with a 258, but they have a good reputation for reliability, and a friend who owns a
Scout with one is very happy with it.
The drivetrains are very heavy duty. Dana 44s with drum brakes in the rear on all Scout IIs,
dana 44 front with disc brakes from '75-'80 (dana 30 w/ drums from '71-'74). 4-speed manual
transmission was the T18 (close ratio - 4:1 first gear, non-syncro 1st and rev) from '71 to '75,
and T19 after that in two versions: wide ratio (6.3:1 granny first gear) and close ratio (4:1 first gear),
both full syncro. There was also a 3 speed manual (T98?). In the earlier years, there was a Borg Warner
automatic, and in later years there was a 727 Torqueflite 3 speed auto. Most Scout IIs came with a
dana 20 geardrive two speed transfer case, but in 1980 they switched to the dana 300 (very desireable
for it's lower low range). There was also an optional single speed chain-drive transfer case, but I've never
seen one, so I assume they're fairly rare.

> Hell...not sure what else to look for. Have seen a few w/o any cancer.
Rust is a big problem in Scouts. If you don't immediately see rust, you still need to keep
checking to make sure there isn't rust in less visible areas. Crawl underneath and check
the floors under the driver and passengers' feet along the rockers. Also check the
rectangular sheetmetal box at the body mount in the same area. The rockers are another
area that tends to rust. A few other problem areas are at the top of and just forward of the
rear wheel wells, and just behind the front wheel wells.

> Any advice would be appreciated.
I love my IHs. I've been using them as my daily drivers for 4 years now, and they've been more reliable than the fairly
new vehicles I was driving before that. I've found them to be easy to work on and inexpensive to maintain - a few parts
are rare and expensive, but they're the exception.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Keep in mind that these are 20+ years old now. That being said, age really isn't an issue with an IH. Scouts and other IH light line vehicles come from a long line of solidly built, long lasting work trucks. Unlike today's SUVs built by those who also build 'throw away' cars like Eccos & Neons, IH built their mid and light duty trucks with most of the same components they used in the heavy duty dump trucks, haulers, school buses, etc...and they built them to last a long time as one would expect from a service type vehicle. This was long before the concept of Planned Obsolence showed up. If you do get the Scout, you'll know, and most of the Light Line vendors can get you anything you'll need (if you get tired of dealing with the inexperienced guys at some local parts stores;-) IH also used GM & Chrysler parts, so you may have to go that route with those guys!).
Good Luck,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dunno where you are looking, but ScoutII's without cancer are few and far between where I am at. They are also cheaper, when you consider condition versus price, than Jeeps or early Broncos, and are more heavy duty to boot. Still looking for a nice one within driving distance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode