Scout II Buyers Assistance Please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Question Scout II Buyers Assistance Please

I have several friends that have owned a Scout in the passed and each has said that they are robust go any where beasts. One still has his.

So I'm defiantly looking to get one. But I'm wanting to know what are the red Flags to look out for? I've only bought an older vehicle once before. And it was from a family member, and I new the truck well (55 Studebaker, my main work truck).

I see Scouts all the time on Crag's List for between $500 and $3,500. And I'm sure that the low end are going to have some problems.

So what are the things I should look for when I go have a look (including a test drive) of the thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Novice

This question has been answered many times over on other forums. Do a search over on BinderPlanet or JustIH or IHOnlyNorth forums. There's more information there than I can post here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks.

filler text. filler text. filler text. filler text. (i hate it when they have a min message length)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 AM

I personally like IH ONLY NORTH for any questions I have because they are local to me. The people there are as knowledgeable and if you go through the threads you will find that all your questions have most likely already been answered. As for your question, My advice is the less rust the better. Scouts have problematic spots and if you find one that is mostly rust free you are already off to a good start.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM

I'd like to know also. I want to buy a scout ii and was wondering what to look for and what years were the best.
Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Journeyman

Also depends on the part of the states you are from.....problems can be as simple as the front seal leaking on the motors to.....on the lower range of craigs list needing a tetnis shot to walk past them. Main thingsd to loom for on the bodies are typical rott in the quarter panels and back corners.....some even rust from where the top mounts to them. Check the front body mounts under the floor boards. Mechanical wise....as long as it runs....it wll keep running. If it has electronic ignition.....(i.e.....the little gold box) get a spare...or change it to a petronix electronic ignition. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode