800b lockouts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

800b lockouts

I have a 800b without lockouts. The junk 800(?) I got for the transmission has lockouts. Will the gas milage be much better putting the lockouts on my Scout? I do not use mine for the road but I would say that I get a whole 3 m.p.g. in four wheel high, the Arabs love me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Novice

You have auto hubs which require more maintenance and care to work properly (they don't work as often as they should). You are best suited to utilize the locking hubs and unlock them when not in use. I have changed ALL of my hubs to manual.

I'm used to the MI winters and you'll want to be able to control when you are and are NOT in 4x.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Baldscout ???? I have a 69 and have replaced a front drive axle. This is a straight spline to spline so once you engage the transfer case you are driving all front and rear wheels.
I am a Michiganer too, at the bottom of Lake Huron. Get a lot of good winter use including removing a flipped over full size pickup while the tandem new 4 wheel trucks in tandum just spun on the ice. They saw the "scout light" that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Novice

Yeah, one of my scouts looks bald, so I used that name on a couple of forums. Works for me.

I was a Yooper in the Copper Country, then got wise and moved to Alaska. I have spent time in the lower part of MI, aka troll land.

You describe how the auto hubs would work, aka lock-o-matics. There've been some great discussions about them over on "binder planet" along with details. I've always gotten rid of them as when I shifted from drive to reverse, they have had a habit of unlocking and relocking during the shift. Not something I want to happen if I'm needing 4x. By switching to manual hubs, not only have I reduced driveline wear on the front axle, but I know that they will not unlock without intervention by me when I'm rocking a vehicle.

Scouts do get great use. I use the one that looks bald as a plow rig, has an 8' blade on it. Only had to get pulled out once due to the idiot neighbor not heeding to the plow... They got stuck too, but not as bad. Otherwise, it's like a mini dozer. Sure can move the snow around...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode