New Scout owner, 1st 4wd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

New Scout owner, 1st 4wd

Just saying hey and it looks like this is the area to do it. I just bought a 78 Scout II 304 auto as kind of an impulse buy (i was looking for a j...err some other vehicle). The price was too good to pass up considering the new parts.

The Bad:
*Carb/choke needs adjusting, dies right after firing up if it's cold, hesitates when giving it fuel and stutters going up hills, also sometimes died just when shifting in to drive.
*Interior has been ravaged, seats are torn but there, driver's window mechanism is shot
*Gauges are all shot but I'm slowly getting that ironed out
*Rust - may need a new body mount or two, PO seems to have patched the floors and rear with aluminum but I haven't torn in yet (it's good enough to make it till spring)

The Good:
*Drives better than any 4x4 I've ever driven, I fell in love with it after driving it around town, again after seeing how it behaved on the highway and once again after i took it out camping this past weekend
*New M/T 15" wheels with 31 10.50s, Dual exhaust, gaskets throughout the engine, Alternator, brakes from booster to pads/shoes, carb, starter,
*Freshly rebuilt Auto trans shifts perfectly
*No other rust, the frame is absolutely beautiful.
*60/40 front seat is pretty cool
*it's ugly - doesn't matter if i scratch it so i can have a little more fun with it.

I got it because I've started hiking/kayaking/camping and my other two vehicles are 2 seater's with no ground clearance. I hope to build her up over time and transform her from a rough beast into something a little more becoming and a lot more capable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Welcome to the Club.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Just saying hey and it looks like this is the area to do it. I just bought a 78 Scout II 304 auto as kind of an impulse buy (i was looking for a j...err some other vehicle). The price was too good to pass up considering the new parts.

The Bad:
*Carb/choke needs adjusting, dies right after firing up if it's cold, hesitates when giving it fuel and stutters going up hills, also sometimes died just when shifting in to drive.
Re-build the carb and put in an electric fuel pump, should solve most of those problems.

I normally let mine warm up for a good 20mins before taking off.

Congrats on the Scout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode