Looking for help from Scout owners. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Looking for help from Scout owners.

I am in the process of looking for Scout to buy for my 40th b-day gift to myself. I don't want to re-invent the wheel so I was hoping you could help me. If you have any input (good or bad) about buying, restoring, driving Scouts please chime in. Are any models better than others? What are some common problems with Scouts? etc. etc. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Scout II

Franzen,

I purchased a 1973 Scout II for myself this past summer and it has been a great adventure so far. A couple of things to consider:

1) Initial cost of car Versus level of interest in restoring this vehicle.
If you are willing to get your hands dirty and have the space to work, you can easily do most of the prep work and restoration yourself. If you want to just spend the money for a fully restored Scout, then this might not be the car for you. I like tinkering around and fixing stuff, so this is a great project vehicle for me.

2) Amount of time/money you are willing to spend.
This speaks to issue #1, if you want to save $$, buy the parts online and do it yourself.

3) Vehicle Use: Daily driver, weekend cruiser or offroad classic?
My Scout is my surf wagon: the top is removed, it has only a 2" lift with custom seats and 28" tires. Not a monster truck but definitely turns heads.

4) Scout the owners first. Vehicle history, use and visual inspection to verify what you've been told.

Frame First!
I purchase one for very cheap ($2500), but I could see major potential in this vehicle: straight 6 engine that ran/started well, no exterior rust/pitting on the door panels, limited amount of 'thrown' grease/oil on the undercarriage, etc. This was a garage stored vehicle in Southern Cal that was used on the weekends only. All of these suggested that this vehilce has good bones and could easily be restored.

My goals are to do a frame-off restoration this winter (powder coated frame, Rust Bullet primer and Black shell sealant on the undercarriage and rear compartment, new rust-proofing/primer and paint for the exertior.

Of all the possible older 4WD vehicles (Type II Land Rover, Broncos, Scouts), I feel this one is the easiest to work on and the most affordable.

I hope I answered your questions, feel free to ask me about anything I didn't cover.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzen160 View Post
I am in the process of looking for Scout to buy for my 40th b-day gift to myself. I don't want to re-invent the wheel so I was hoping you could help me. If you have any input (good or bad) about buying, restoring, driving Scouts please chime in. Are any models better than others? What are some common problems with Scouts? etc. etc. Thank you in advance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Sean thanks for the input. I'm looking for a weekend cruiser, but something I can drive while I'm working on it. I wouldn't want something so nice that I am afraid to take it out, or off road. I plan on keeping it classic looking. Like you said maybe lift it a tad or just put as big a tire as can fit without lifting it, and maybe swap out the gauges for the round ones like in the 800's, fixing the rust and paint. Other than that I like em just the way they are. I want to have fun with it, with the family. I am in no hurry to be done fixing it, I am looking forward to the "journey"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Frazen,

I owned a '77 Scout II 4 cylinder auto 2wd, she was dubbed the orange crate. The truck litterally had over 500,000 miles on her and was still running strong when we sold it to a Scout fanatic that used her for his own project build. The miles on it were true as Dad and I were the only ones that ever drove her. Body work was the only thing done and a tranny overhaul.

Most of the Scouts whether they are Travelers, Terra, Scout II, or the 800's all had rust issues. Main areas of concern are the entire floorboards, rocker panels rear quarters, and the rear "hatch area" if you will. When looking one over make sure you check out under the truck for rotting also in the body mount areas. I've heard of a place that sells the entire tub, think fiberglass probably somewhere on here, and I'm sure there are ones that sell them out of metal.

The running gear to the best of my knowledge are very reliable as long as they are taken care of. The rear main seals tend to leak over time as well as the easily replaceable valve cover gaskets. On my Scout the manifold collector to the intermediate pipe had an "o" ring that would fail frequently and had to be replaced about every 8-12 months. Not a huge problem but non-the-less a bit of a hassle.

I haven't gotten back into them but I am currently lurking around for one, not sure if you want to expand your search to the Allentown PA area, have seen a few in this area that were not in bad shape but needed some TLC. I live in the area and use Craigslist.com to find them.

We are originally from Syracuse NY, salt belt, and the "orangemen" were the basketball team for Syracuse University. Needless to say we went to a lot of the games and were invited to participate in thier parade for thier games.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find one to your liking.

Paul K
'95 Chevy COPrice T-56 6 speed, hot cammed, cloned to an SS "V8DER"
'07 Saturn Aura XR pocket rocket
'01 GMC Sonoma 4x4 x-cab work truck "blk&blu"
Easton, PA

Last edited by speedie mc pete; 12-09-2009 at 08:58 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Paul. Since i posted that I did find one in PA, funny enough. The truck is from Centerville, but he was nice enough to meet me in Mechanicsburg. So now I own a 79 Scout II which just turned 73,000 miles. It is in a lot better shape than I had hoped. I have been driving it at least 4x a week to work, and the looks I get are well worth the investment. Having a few carb issues so I am re-bulding he edelbrck that came with it and swapping out the holley (that needs re-building anyway). I have been doing little things here and there and will get into the rust abatement (which doesn't look to bad yet) over the winter and have her ready for the top to come off this summer.

Last edited by Franzen160; 12-13-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Can't seem to post a pic.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzen160 View Post
Thanks for the reply Paul. Since i posted that I did find one in PA, funny enough. The truck is from Centerville, but he was nice enough to meet me in Mechanicsburg. So now I own a 79 Scout II which just turned 73,000 miles. It is in a lot better shape than I had hoped. I have been driving it at least 4x a week to work, and the looks I get are well worth the investment. Having a few carb issues so I am re-bulding he edelbrck that came with it and swapping out the holley (that needs re-building anyway). I have been doing little things here and there and will get into the rust abatement (which doesn't look to bad yet) over the winter and have her ready for the top to come off this summer.
Glad to see you found a Scout. I found mine back in october and one thing I learned is always double check what the PO said he replaced, fixed, etc. May not always be what it seems.

If it's a solid frame, runs good and makes you happy, you can't ask for anything more.

What size engine is in it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

It has the 345 8cyl with the 727 trans, Dana 44's front and back, discs up front. Just had a edelbrock 4 bbl 1405 rebuilt that will be going on shortly. It has a few PS issues that I will be taking care of shortly also. Other than that I've been driving the heck out if and loving every minute of it. Also I picked up some used tires and rims off of Craigslist list, the white walls and hub caps were a little to retro for my taste lol.I will include a recent pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1225091452a.jpg (102.3 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM

Wow, she is shiny! Body looks great!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Well like I said I haven't dug to deep yet, but in the back of my mind I am thinking I may have found a diamond in the rough of Pennsylvania lol..There is some rot bubbling up, I don't think any of my gauges read true (I know the gas gauge doesn't) and I haven't pulled the carpet and liner so we'll see. But once I get the Power steering fixed I could drive her as is for quite a while. EXCEPT!!! I have a old audiovox tape player with mechanical tuning that has to be ripped out ASAP!!! but I guess that's a good problem to have lol. Glad you like it, the orange is growing on me.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Hey bud,

I bought my Scout almost a year ago. I spent $1,000 bucks and decided to buy one with a strong motor and rusted body. It was nice that I could drive my scout around town while I worked on the body, but I soon found out the replacement panels are expensive. For what I've spent fixing/replacing panels and paint I could have had the motor and transmission rebuilt twice over. If I was to do it again I would have bought a straight body and dumped in a rebuilt motor. Also look on craigslist for parts. Its a great resource.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode