ignition problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

ignition problems

Hello
Another new(and proud) guy here. I have a 1976 Terra with a 196 cid 4 speed. I've read many of the chats online and several situations seem similar to mine but I would like to share my situation. My Terra starts and runs 99.9% of the time. It runs puurrrfect....
Every 1 out of 50 times it decides not to start. Not a sound. Got lights, Got gauges, but not a sound. The first occurrence Terra had been sitting for about 10 mins since it was driven. I waited another 10 mins and it started. For the next 50 starts NO problems. Then again after about an hour drive I left the truck and returned in 10 mins. Not a sound, No nothing. After a dead key for about 30 mins I got out and reached down to jump the starter and it spun. Tried the key again, Not a sound. I was in hilly Westwood ca so I rolled the truck down the street and popped the clutch. It started and has been starting ever since and running great. I not a real ignition guy but it appears to be updated with some electronics. The starter is shielded but my first thought was "HEAT" since it started after 10 mins the first time but on the second occurrence it sat for over 30 mins and did not start. It only started when I popped the clutch. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Also looking for a stock radio for the 1976 Terra.
Thanks Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Novice

Sounds like your solenoid is starting to go. It is overheating and is in need of replacement. It is a "Hot Start" issue, the Ford Solenoid conversion will get you back on the road without worry. Do a search on "hot start" over at binder planet and you'll get more information than you'll need to do the conversion. Posts by BillUSN-1 will be most helpful.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Journeyman

Try the ignition switch on the steering colum first.if it starts at the starter....and it starts half the time with the key......i would try the switch before anything. It's pretty much a standerd gm switch the bolts right to the base of the colum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode