Suspension lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Suspension lift

I have a 1970 Scout 800 short cab and would like to raise it 2 - 4 inches. I do not wish to spend much money as I'm cheap (besides the fact my wife wasn't happy with the purchase in the first place!). Seems the less expensive methods are the Spring over Axle lift and/or using longer shackles. I'm not rock crawling but do take it off road (hunting stuff mostly). I do want it to remain handling well (like the tank it is). Could I get some suggestions/opinions how best to achieve what I need? Thanks BUNCHES, Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 AM

If you have considerable fab skills, an SOA is easy
Even if you do the SOA, you still have to build a droplink or Z
Your'e cheapest way to lift it, is with some springs that are actually for a CJ
They are supposed to be 6 inch leaf springs, but they actually yield about 4
You can replace body bushings as they are probably worn out, don't go over 2
You can replace shackles, don't go over 2 added inches
With that setup, you can gain almost 8 inches and run 35's
If you want to run 33's, the leaf springs alone should do it without too much other modifications
You should probably replace your steering joint at the same time with a ujoint type (Borgeson, Flaming River, etc.)
Good luck
PM me if your're interested, I have a set of brand new springs for the 80,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyeda View Post
I have a 1970 Scout 800 short cab and would like to raise it 2 - 4 inches. I do not wish to spend much money as I'm cheap (besides the fact my wife wasn't happy with the purchase in the first place!). Seems the less expensive methods are the Spring over Axle lift and/or using longer shackles. I'm not rock crawling but do take it off road (hunting stuff mostly). I do want it to remain handling well (like the tank it is). Could I get some suggestions/opinions how best to achieve what I need? Thanks BUNCHES, Dan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
jco

I have a 67 scout 800a and a 70 scout 800a. On the '67 I did the spring over axle lift and it works well. However I would not recommend it if dont have access to welder. As far as money invested, just for longer brake lines and modifing driveshafts as my family owns a machine shop. The '70 Scout we did the longer shackle thing and it raised the vehicle but I am not as convinced as to its safety. Hope this helps

jco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM

I used a rough country lift with the "upgraded" shocks for a 4 inch lift. After everything, professionally installed, I was out roughly $1000. Your stock brake lines will not be long enough. They tell you that they are, but the rear flexible line has no slack, and you will tear it.

When you get your new springs on, and your big tires, BE CAREFUL. With a 750 pound engine out front, and the new springs, hills that just lifted you in the seat a little will become 4-wheel jumps. There's a hill between here and town, that has never been a big deal in any other car or truck for me, that I have to hit under 40 to keep the tires on the ground.

This is a cut scout with a 4 inch rough country lift, and 5 inch shackle length in front, 6 in rear for spring travel, and leveling, sitting on 35x12.5's. It's gotten new tires since.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Hi there, I'm Adrienne, new to the forum and new to the world of Scouts. I have a 1970 800a that was an inheritance that I've had my eye on for a while and now she's mine! Just wondering if you still had those springs, or if you could give me specific info on what springs I should seek out, as mine are in bad shape and need to be replaced. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode