Hard to Find or Not - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
submarine26

Hard to Find or Not

I have recently recieved a 1978 Travelall hardtop convertable, 2dr, 4x4 Scout with the original orange and white paint job, 345 V-8 and I'm wondering how rare these are. All the Travelall's I find pics of are truck looking or the have a fixed top. I'm not a very knowledgabel scout fan so if anyone out there has any info please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Journeyman

What you have is called a Traveller. It's a longer version of the Scout. I've owned one myself. Loved it.And no.....these trucks aren't very rare sorry. If you have a solid body and it runs....you have a gem. If it only runs well......then you have a good start. You can't kill them. Hope this helps you out. Drop a line if you need more help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
submarine26

I was realy wondering b/c I wanted to know whether or not to turn it into a crawler of sorts. Now that I know its not rare I might entertain the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Journeyman

Well......I have not seen too many crawlers built out of Travellers. They have a longer wheel base that rocks like to grab and not let go of. Not saying that it isn't possible though. A spring over lift and 35's is a good start. Travellers are a great riding truck because of the wheel base though. And you can haul more crap in the back of them too. Mine was used strictly as a tow rig and a light trail truck. My 71 Scout was my crawler. Hope this helps. Good luck on making the truck what you want it. If you do make a crawler out of it post some pics. I'd love to see how it wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode