Sagging Scout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:26 PM
dbutler

Sagging Scout

Hello everyone I'm a newbie to your forum and to the Scout world. Ive had some experience with Jeeps but new to Scouts. I Just bought a 1978 Scout II in relatively good condition. I plan to turn it into a rock crawler but nothing extreme. I noticed when I bought it that the right side (passenger side) was lower than the drivers side. The whole right (passenger) side looked to be about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the drivers side. I bought it, brought it home thinking that maybe for some reason the springs on that side were weak. I have installed a 4" lift kit and the passenger side is still lower than the drivers side. While installing the lift kit I came across a 1/4 inch metal plate between the axle perch and the spring on the passenger side (only) front and rear. It fitted nicely and even had the little post that fits up in the axle perch. When I installed the new springs I took the plates out from between the springs and the axle and the scout is still lower on the passenger side than the drivers side. I'm bum fuzzled!! Were the plates installed there from the factory and if so why? Anyway they are not there anymore and my scout still is sagging to the passenger side front and back with a new 4" lift on it.

Last edited by dbutler; 09-14-2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 AM
scoutfan79

The pad you are refering to was installed from the factory just on the pass. rear. It does make the truck slightly lower on that side , but when you get in and start driving down the road it does even out. I do have a Scout that has the same appearence with a 4 inch lift and 32 inch tires. I have noticed what has helped on it is running gas charged shocks instead of hydrolic shocks. Also make sure your body mounts are not throwing your measurments off, take your numbers off the frame and not the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode