Axles? Nee help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
KJW

Cool Axles? Nee help!

Hey guys,
I have just purchased my first every scout II. It is a 1973 Scout II. I picked it up for $500. Well here is my question. Two owners before me swaped out the running gear with a 1986 chevy blazer's. The scout now has a 350 motor with an automatic transmission w/203 transfer case. Along with the axles. The front is one of those all time four wheel drive ones and the rear is a 10 bolt. Currently i am installing a SM465 transmission w/205 transfer case. As for the axles, I would like get some feedback as to which would be the best to run. One of my buddy's has a set of dana 44's front and rear that I could run. Or I also have a 1 ton dana 60 front that I am highly swaying towards due to the strength. If i am to run the dana 60 my plans are to then run a 14 bolt rear with it. My plans are, when finished building the scout, to do some moderate to challenging four wheeling. I hope to run lockers front and rear. Any advise would be great. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by KJW; 08-04-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM
scoutfan79

Depends on the horsepower you plan on putting out a set of dana 44's with some chrome molly axles should do you fine with running 35 inch tires. If you plan on larger tire wich you really do not need if you are planning on just moderate to difficult wheelin, then I would run the larger 60/14 combo.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
KJW

Thanks for the advice. I have been crunching the numbers (motor hp/trans gear ratios/axle gears/tire size) and it sure looks like it will be best to run the pair of dana 44's. I will be sure to check out what you suggested about running chrome molly axles in them. thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode