fuel system on scout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 PM
wkk427

fuel system on scout

i have just bought a 1979 scout and i am having gas flow problems.they had changed the therma-quad carb to a quadrajet.they was told that the plastic piece in the center of the carb causes lots of problems.i am not getting but a little bit of gas from the tank from the electric fuel pump and the manual fuel pump is not hooked up.can i blow air back through the gas tank to make sure it is not stopped up,and should i hook the manual pump back up also what is the plastic piece below the filler cap on the inside of the fender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Scout II fuel system

Quadrajets are know for problems, especially ones that could be 20 + years old.

I'd pull the fuel inlet line from the carb and test the pump (key on if electric, cranking engine if mechanical pump) to see if fuel is spurting out of the line during this procedure.

If it's doing so, and in sufficient volume, the problem is likely inside the carb.

If little to no fuel comes from the line during the test, the line is clogged. That could mean a fuel tank full of sediment clogging the lines, or a clogged fuel filter some where between the tank and the carb.

The black plastic piece inside the DS quarter panel is an Evaporate canister. It allows for the expansion (and condensation) of the fuel vapors from the tank. This was largely an emissions requirement, but if yours if functional, I'd leave it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm currently running a holley red, through mostly hard line to a 1-4psi regulator dialed down to 2.5psi, and into a holley 4150 4bbl. Please excuse the cell phone pics here. I like it. The whole thing from tank to carb probably ran me a little over $400, and worth every penny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

The white line at the front of the motor is a hard line that I put a fiberglass sleeve over to keep the water pump from heating the fuel and vapor locking it. Pretty cheap stuff. I got it from McMaster-Carr. It's just the 1000 degree stuff. The stainless hoses just have a inch of heat shring tubing on the ends to keep them from fraying. I mounted the fuel line to the tabs on the valve cover that are supposed to be for plug wire guides. I think knowing your fuel line is secure is a bit more important than plug wire routing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode