197? Scout II V8 with a plow - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
brianstrange

197? Scout II V8 with a plow

I have the chance to get a mid 70's (Round Headlights) IH Scout II with a plow. It has a 8 Cyl Engine (unsure if size) and I am hoping someone can give me some general advice.

I plan to plow my driveway in the winter and use it as a cruiser in the summer with the top off.

The body appears to be solid except the front fenders have pin hole size rust holes between the tire and bumper. I'm sure there is rust somewhere else, but I don't know where to look yet. Please not that I have yet to do a full inspection due to snow on the ground. The overall condition of the outside is good.

I would become the third owner of the vehicle that has no modifications at all. The second owner has had it for ten years using it as a driveway plow truck. It has original green paint with a white top. There are no decals or paint schemes.

If I buy it, this is what I want to do
1) New exaust (maybe headers)
2) New Brakes
3) New tires (would like to know the largest size that will fit on a stock suspension.
4) Soft top (optional)
5) New paint
6) Rhino liner the whole inside

7) Please give me some advice on common problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:46 PM
IH_Scout_II_Fan

Re: 197? Scout II V8 with a plow

I recently bought a 1972 Scout II (round headlights) and a common stock v-8 is the International 345. I've heard they have fantastic torque and are a strong, long-living engines.

For the soft top, mine came with a BestTop, and they're currently listed at this website and sell for about $600 - http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=6

This is a decent site too if you want to get some general info on Internationals: www.off-road.com/ih/jweed/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 09:02 PM

Re: 197? Scout II V8 with a plow

[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought a 1972 Scout II (round headlights) and a common stock v-8 is the International 345. I've heard they have fantastic torque and are a strong, long-living engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true, the 304, 345, and 392 IH engines produce lots of torque. 304 is 180ft lbs at the wheels, and the 392 is 2805 ftlbs at the wheels [354 at flywheel], and by the way these are stock numbers from my IH service manual.
i wouldnt invest in headers due to the fact that IH v8 are low RPM and headers are more for high RPM. the stock exhaust manifolds with new exhust tubes and new mufflers would be the best idea. you can fit 31" all terrains OK with stock suspension. common issues are wiring problems, sinc ethe trucks are decades old, the wiring is more prone to damage.
let us know if you need anything els or have more questions. post some pics to if you can!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode