GVW of a 1977 Scout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 PM
slaroche

GVW of a 1977 Scout

Can someone post this information? I keep seeing between 6100 and 6200lbs, but that seems like a lot. My Tahoe weighs 6900lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 AM
slaroche

Re: GVW of a 1977 Scout

In case anyone cares, it's ~3500lbs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 AM
IH_Scout_II_Fan

Hi,

I just bought a 1972 Scout II. Do you know how much they weigh? I looked at the VIN tag, but it didn't have any info on weight.

I'm curious if 2-ton capacity bridges will be a problem.

Thanks,
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Robert B

Weight will vary between 3850 and 4200 lb, depending on body style and equipment. I had my 71 Scout II weighed, gave the guy $5. No charge to weight my 79 Scout II Traveler at a junk yard (auto parts recycler) where I had just bought parts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Hunter57

GVW isn't what the vehicle weighs...it's the Gross Vehicle Weight rating. In other words, how much they weigh, plus how much you can load on them (including yourself...lol...), plus whatever tongue weight you are dragging behind them. It determines the emissions class they are in, and it's mostly a function of axle and spring ratings.

My old 77 Scout II with roll bar, accesories, and winch wighed 4450 last time it went over the scales; the 76 Traveler I used to have only weighed 4180 lbs with just my miscellaneous junk in it, but it was stone stock. The GVW for both of these was listed at 6200 lbs, so I could have put about a ton of stuff (literally) in or on both of them without exceeding the weight limit rating. I have a friend with a 76 half cab Scout II with the 4 cyl, and his also has a 6200 lb weight rating, but I don't think I'd want to do that much weight with the 196 4 cyl.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Hunter57

Folks, I had a small brain blip earlier; Scout II GVW after 74 is 6200 not the 6500 I had stuck in my mind for some reason...sorry I put it down wrong, and I went back and I edited it to the right GVWR. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

I currently have a 79 Traveler, also a 6200 GVW, but I've never run this one over a scale, and it's a little more loaded than the 76 (AC, cruise, winch, aftermarket pwr windows, etc.) so it probably weighs in at a lot more than the 77 Scout II did.

Sorry for the 300 pound "oops" earlier; I should have looked at the tag on the Traveler to be sure before I posted. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode