1 ton 4x4 IH truck, trying to find info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 11:10 PM
eaglescout

1 ton 4x4 IH truck, trying to find info

Hey guys,

brand noobie here, first post. My good friend just scored what we believe to be a 1 ton 4x4 and we're trying to get info on it. The front axle looks like a dana 60. The engine is a big V8, with a 2bbl carb. The trans is a 4 speed with a divorced t-case.
I have some questions:

How can we determine the year of the truck. Judging from the bodystyle, its at least a '70.

How to identify the exact model? Where would any build tag or info be? Can the VIN be decoded to provide info?

How do we identify the engine? How can we tell if it's a 345 or 392?

What transmission/ transfer case might this be? How to ID?

I've owned a couple IH's in the past and they sure are great rigs! Thanks a bunch!!

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Aprentice

Re: 1 ton 4x4 IH truck, trying to find info

It should have a production date on the vin tag. AFAIK, the vin number is pretty much only good for the year model and production number. I'm not sure about the trucks, but the one on the Scouts is on the front of the door frame. There is a sticker on the driver's side and a metal tag on the pass. side.

The engine will have the size stamped on the block somewhere in front of the pass. side head (I forget exactly where). It's hard to see with the accessories there.

I have no idea about the transmission (maybe BW t18 or t19?). The transfer case will probably be an NP205. It will have a small cover, about 2" in dia., with 3 bolts in the middle towards the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode