looking at a '74 scout in colorado - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 10:20 PM
ShinySideUp

looking at a \'74 scout in colorado

Hey all, I'm new to cornbinders (a jeep and S-10 guy up until now), but there's one for sale up the street and I'm interested. I was hoping to get some opinions from poeople who know internationals. It's a 74 Scout with the 345 V-8 and (I think) a t-18 manual 4 speed. The engine and tranny really seem to be in good working order, although there is oil at hte front and back of the motor. THe body is in fair condition, with the usual amount of work you'd expect on a 30 year old truck. The guy is asking $3500, probably go down to $3000, is this worth it? Also, is it possible to quiet these trucks down a bit? I know its an old farm truck, but would a better muffler, a headliner and maybe a carpet kit quiet this thing down? It sounds like a WWII troop transport at highway speeds? One last question; is it feasible to put an overdrive in? It is a 4-speed, but its really screaming at 65, and this needs to be a daily driver on the highway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

~Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Keith

Re: looking at a \'74 scout in colorado

I am also looking for a Scout in Colorado, and will share what I think I have learned. Why a Scout when they are so derided by the Jeepers? How about fully boxed frames, Dana 44s, and V8 power - works for me.

Apparently there are both close and wide ratio manual transmissions for this truck, although most of the Scouts I see for sale have an auto trans. I would be leary of too much mechanical road noise (got oil in that t-case??). '77 to '80s got the front disc brakes - a good trail rig feature in my book.

'80s got some rust preventative for the body, and Scout II body rot is one of the biggest problems. The body mounts rust out and the body must be jacked up, and new body mounts welded in. Rear quarter panels are also available and usually needed.

From what I've seen, $3,500 for a bone stock Scout with some rust is on the high side, although I may pay that if the body was rust free (which happens about as often as pigs flying in formation). There are several unrestored examples on collectorcartraderonline in Colorado right now in the $1,500 range, and I see them go for less than a grand if they need work. One with good body work, and some mechanical restoration will run around $5k+. There is a 78 in Canon City for $1,800 - and it can be had for less http://www.canoncafe.com/shopper/cla...d/trucks.html.

Happy hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode