Electrical Nitemare - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 05:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electrical Nitemare

My 72' Scout II kept blowing the tail lite/panel lites fuse. I inspected the wiring from back of dash to where it goes into boxed frame rail and from where it comes out of the frame and to the tail lites and license plate lite and it was O.K. Finanaly I took it to Professionals who Only do Carb. and Elect. work and they were a JOKE! as the fuse blew on my way home( only 4 miles) after paying them $300.00. I suspected the wiring to be frayed some where inside the boxed frame rail and didn't want to run another outside of the rail so I ran a dedicated line from the battery thru the cab to a toggle switch and then to the passenger side tail lite. ( from there the license plate and other tail lite are excited ) I have been going without dash lights untill now. Now I have dash lights ALL OF THE TIME! even though there IS NO FUSE IN THE ORIGINAL FUSE HOLDER!!! My battery is being drained in a 24hr. period enough so that it won't start and I'm tired of having to disconnect my battery every day and I don't want to install one of those battery disconnect lever switches. I'm thinking the problem is in my ignition switch, are there any Electrical Guru's that know what the problem is? Please Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electrical Nitemare

The only way I know of hunting down this type of problem is to break out the Digital Multi-Meter
(Volt-Ohm meter - if you don't have one, you can get them at most Home Depot type stores for
about $20). Then track down the electrical diagram in the shop manual, and start checking. I like
to work from the battery side downstream, checking resistance WRT ground (with the fuse removed
or the battery disconnected). For the battery drain problem, you can put a light in series with the battery
connection (or use your DMM, but be careful because most of them won't handle much current, and will
blow the fuse inside the meter), then start pulling fuses until the light goes out, and then work your
way downstream again until you find the problem.

Good Luck,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode