Axles to go under my Toyota (sorry to invade your IH bbs) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axles to go under my Toyota (sorry to invade your IH bbs)

I"M getting ready to go full width & straight axle under my Toyota. Toys are sprung over, what about Scouts?

I'm thinking about using a dana 44 for my staight axle conversion. Does anyone know if Scouts have the same lug pattern as
Toy/GM? How wide are scouts? How many pinions does a stock dana 44 have? What about Chevy blazers or 1/2 ton PUs? Did they
come dana 44 front & 12 bolt rear?

Anyone have any suggestions on full width front & rear axles to use? I am trying to find stuff that is reasonably priced in junk yards. I
would like to keep the Toy lug pattern, don't want to do any narrowing & minimal parts swapping on the axles them selves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axles to go under my Toyota (sorry to invade your IH bbs)

Scout axles are spring under. they are 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and have one standard yoke size 1310 series.I would recommend using chevy axles they will be wider but the same bolt patteren and are spring over from the factory.
Erick

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2000, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you decide you want to go with scout axles, I've got two sets that I'll sell cheap. Two front 44s with disc brakes and two rear 44s with factory trac-locks, so you can take your pick of the bunch. They all have 3.54:1 gearing. With a little grinding and welding they can be mounted spring-over-axle. I have a pair under a Jeep (spring-over) and they are very tough. Unfortunately for you, they have a bolt pattern matching Ford and Jeep. If you need measurements, let me know. Some of the 1/2 ton Chevys had 14 bolt fronts, and some had 44s. Another drawback of the scout axles is the 0 deg caster angle, or is it camber, I always get them mixed up. It can be changed (and cheated by lowering the pinion angle if you're doing a spring over) but it's not easy. I just stuck it under the Jeep as-is and live with the horrible handling on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much is cheap? Where do you live? Can you measure them for me? I need not only the width, but the distance from the pumkin to the passenger side knukle.

Thanks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok 333,
How does $50 each sound? I live in eastern PA. The track width is approximately 58.25" drum to drum, for front and rear. The front spring pads are at 31.25" on center, and they cannot be moved any closer without narrowing the housing, because the RH front spring pad is part of the pumpkin. The rear spring pads are 38" on center. The rear diff housing is dead center, so the pinion is a few inches to the right of center.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

be careful if you do a SOA conversion (spring over axle)... a kid at my school was just about killed when one of the welds broke on his SOA conversion (on a sazuki samuri)... get a pro to do the welding...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode