Vacuum Hose Diagram - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vacuum Hose Diagram

Where can I find a copy of the vacuum hose locations (diagram) on V-304 engine with 2245-C carburetor. Diagram # should be 498605C1 for 1979 Scout II with automatic transmission, air conditioner and sump pump power steering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2000, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vacuum Hose Diagram

This should be pretty close:
http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/vacuum.htm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, Curt. The diagram at the site you mentioned is close but it shows components/connections that did not come with this vehicle and the diagram doesn't show some of the ones that did. (Bought the vehicle new in 1980 and have made no modifications. She was mfg'd at Fort Wayne, IN, November 1978.) For example, diagram shows solenoid switch w/vacuum lines - my Scout did not come with a solenoid vacuum valve. Plus I have two vacuum line connections coming from the radiator that aren't shown in the diagram. Had her repainted in 1996. Paint shop painted over half of the original vacuum diagram underneath the hood. The half I can see doesn't match any diagram I've seen so far. I had the engine overhauled at 107,000 miles. The vacuum lines were not connected correctly. They finally gave up. I have done enough "re-arranging of lines" so she runs, but she still misses and shoots black (not white) smoke with no power at low idle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's wierd, all the Scouts I've seen have the vacuum switches, and I've never seen any vacuum lines
going to the radiator. If you're just trying to get it to run well, then you might start by checking how
the distributor vacuum advance is connected - normally it's connected to a ported vacuum source on
the carburetor. If you've got a vacuum guage, you can find it by looking for a carburetor vacuum port
that show's 0 vacuum at idle, then rises sharply as the throttle is opened. This is the stock connection - I
connect mine to manifold (unported) vacuum, and I think it works better, but it won't pass smog this way.

Good luck.

Later,
Curt
actually connect my distributor to

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode