help!!!61 scout diffs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help!!!61 scout diffs

I have a 61' scout with stck dana 27 diffs w/4:27 gears. I am on my third rear-end and getting frustrated. I want to upgrade to a dana 44 in the rear. Does anyone know what problems might arise from the retro-fit. Any help would be a great help......kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help!!!61 scout diffs

First, I'm less familiar with the 80/800's than with Scout II's so if any of this is incorrect, someone
jump in and set me straight.

Dana 44 rear axles were offered in later Scouts, though I'm not sure when they became available.
I'm pretty sure that all Scout 80s and 800s had the same axle width (I think Scout II axles are a bit
wider). The one sticking poing you may run into is that in around '66, the transfer cases in Scouts
went from the dana 18 (which has an offset rear output) to the dana 20 (which has a centered rear
output). Does anyone know if any Scouts ever came with a dana 44 rear axle with an offset
differential? Assuming that there weren't any offset dana 44 rears, you have two options:
1) go ahead and run a centered dana 44 with your dana 18 - this will increase your u-joint angles
a bit, and you'll need to have your driveshaft lengthened, but it should work and shouldn't cause
any vibrations (I even saw a sales brochure that introduce the "new" dana 20, and showed a
picture of a rolling chassis with a dana 20 and a rear axle with an offset rear differential).
2) switch to a dana 20 transfer case - these are common and cheap and will bolt up in place of
your dana 18. But you'll be going from a 2.46:1 low range to a 2.0:1 low range (of course you could
swap in a Scout dana 300 with 2.6:1 low, or you can get a 3.15:1 gear set for a dana 20 from
Teralow, but neither of these is particularly cheap), and if you happen to have an overdrive on your
dana 18, you'll lose that too. One other thing to consider is that most dana 44 rear axles in Scout
800s had two-piece, 10 spline axle shafts. These are not as strong as the 30 spline single-piece
shafts that Scout II's use. I've heard that the one exception is the 1970 Scout 800 B - it had a rear
44 with one-piece, 30 spline shafts.

Hope that helps.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2000, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help!!!61 scout diffs

Curt: I use a lot of scout II parts in my Nissan. However the early scout 80s that I have parted have all had Dana 44 rears. I have taken the gears &
placed in Jeep. The early ones had the tapered axil & were very fragile, as well as outer wheel bearing high mortality. My neighbor has an 800
and his diff is centered w/ Dana 44 rear and 30 in front, Dana 20 t case.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode