Scout II Clunk - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout II Clunk

I've got an '80 Scout II, all stock with the "mighty" SD-33T turbo diesel, T-19 close ratio, and 3.73 posi gears. Lately, upon slowing down and/or turning (at low speed), I've been hearing a fairly loud CLUNK that seems to be coming from the rear end. It's erratic; varys in intensity and sometimes doesn't happen at all. When it's at it's worst, it sounds like something broke off, although everything seems to be working fine. I climbed under the truck; it looks like all shocks and springs are fine, as well as the frame. So, I'm thinking the rear end (especially 'cause, from what I've heard secondhand, it kinda sounds like how locking differentials are supposed to act) is unhappy (remember, as far as I know it's the stock posi gears and NOT lockers). Thoughts? Ideas on how long it'll go (I'm broke and can't afford a new rear end anytime soon) before it gets too bad? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Please answer soon...thanks in advance!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout II Clunk

hope this is it, but i also hope you already checked this... the u joints? a broken u joint makes a clunk, and is a whole bunch less than a rear end

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 02:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry but it doesn't sound good. The same thing happened to my Scout a few years ago. It ended up being the rear diff. Check the rear diff fluid for metal particles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 01:13 PM

Sure it's the rear? Typically the "clunk" is from the front end, where shot spring bushings allow the front springs to shift left to right when you turn slowly. Well, maybe that's more of a "pop"

Given that, check the rear spring shackles and bushings, too.

The last time I had a good "clunk" from the rear end it wasn't anything serious... just that I'd broken the spring perches from the axle tube! :-)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I though IH posi was actually a gear locker..... any takers?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"Baradium" wrote: I thought IH posi was actually a gear locker...

Actually no they're not. Although the sticker on the glove box door of an IH Scout equipped with a Track Lock or Power Lock differential says "Locking differential", these are both in fact limited slip differentials with clutch packs.

To my knowledge a true gear locker like a Detroit Locker was never offfered from the factory on IH Scouts, and at this point I'm 100% certain of that.

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 05:11 PM

Lockers

To the best of my knowledge, IH offered the PowerLok and Trackloks in the Scout and SII series - both are clutch units that do wear out.

Now, I'm pretty sure you could also step up to a Detroit No-Spin (aka "Detroit Locker") in the 1.5T and up trucks.. and while I haven't heard of any in the lighter duty 1/2, 3/4, 1T pickup/Travelalls, I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lockers

they are NOT limited slip axles... they like previously stated, they have clutches and stuff... they do lock.... you can get a limited slip to spin just one tire on dirt... but not the posi-lock in IH vehicles...
-Ryan M. 1978 Scout II 4x4
p.s. mine makes the noises and it only has 75k miles on it.... everything works fine in the rear end...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 12:38 PM

>they are NOT limited slip axles...

No, they ARE Limited Slip axles.

>they like previously stated, they have clutches and stuff... they do lock.... you can
>get a limited slip to spin just one tire on dirt... but not the posi-lock in IH vehicles...

The PowerLok in the older Binders is supposed to be a better/stronger LS than the later Tracklok used in the SIIs, but they are BOTH limited slips.

My limited slip will spin two tires in the dirt - but put one tire up in the air, and you're done (well, except that it's a 4x4, and the front axle has a Lockright locker in it).

A true Locker will keep power to BOTH wheels even when one is airborne.

The Tracklok/PowerLok are both limited slips, clutch units, and will leave you stranded if you pick a tire into the air.

There's open-diff, limited slip, and Locked. Locked can vary from an "autolocker" that lets one wheel overrun if needed (that is, if the terrain tries to push the tire faster than the ring gear) to a full-spool or an ARB switchable "full spool" / "open diff" unit.

Everything else falls into the limited slip category. If you can lift a tire into the air with ZERO resistance (no playing with the brakes) and forward motion stops, it's either a LS, or an Open.

-Tom

p.s. mine makes the noises and it only has 75k miles on it.... everything works fine in the rear end...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mines a SII and doesn't get stranded with a tire in the air, and if it wouldn't catch why would IH say in the manual that it will? I still move with a tire in the air.... with a stock '78 SII (about no not be stock, but hey, it is at the moment)
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode