Off Roading Forums banner

D44 axles

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Hi scout folk,

I am looking for Dana 44 axles to put into my 1967 J**p Jeepster. I hear that late 70's early 80's scouts are pretty close to a direct bolt in, and come with disk brakes. Probably looking at 3.73 gearing if I can be picky. Anyone out there have anything they are looking to part with?

Paul

P.S. I am new at this stuff, so please be patient with stupid questions.

G
#2 ·
For your Jeep specs check the "Short Jeep" tech section here at Off-Road.com. I used to own a '79 CJ-7 and now own a Scout II. I do know that the axle widths and spring perch spacings for all of the pre-Wrangler Jeeps including CJ's and Jeepsters are listed on one of these Tech pages. I used to have these things bookmarked but deleted it all when I sold my CJ and upgraded to a Scout II. Yes that's right, upgraded. <grin> Why don't you just look for an entire International instead? Of course, I'm biased.

Anyway, I don't know the numbers so I can't tell you how wide the Scout II axles or Scout 800 axles are, or their spring perch spacing. Guess you'll have to do some homework yourself in the boneyards unless someone else can shed some light on that. I'm almost sorry to have to admit that even if I did know, I don't think I could tell you for fear of contriuting to the demise of a Scout sitting in a boneyard somewhere, that some IH owner could use parts from someday to keep his truck on the road. Brand loyalty thing.

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA

#3 ·
your in luck Tony!

psaam, the scout rears make good jeep donors, the fronts donot, the caster is wrong 0 degress, this is readily available info on this very BBS, and the ORC website

look under CJ axle swaps, there are several, and youll see whats involved using a scout front end ( too much cutting and turning and grinding)

get a wagoneer front end...

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

#4 ·
Matt, Does anyone here in Arkansas "Narrow" front D44's? I'm in Ashdown and am looking to do a '74 D44 from a Mena Scout to go under a SOA '71 Jeepster. I would be interested inthe Waggoneer front, if you know of one. I want to keep the width as close to OEM as possible. Thanks, Clint.

G
#5 ·
For anyone who is interested, I have front and rear Dana 44 axles from a 76 scout for sale. They have 3.55 gears and a trac-lok in the rear. 12 inch disc brakes on the front, and drums rear. Located in eastern PA, and I will deliver them if you're not too far away. I have a Jeep with Scout axles and the caster is way off, but it is acceptable for off-road use. On the early Jeeps, the axle needs to be narrowed, or the springs moved out to clear the pumpkin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.