Scout Diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2000, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout Diesel

I found a scout today with Dana 44s front and rear, a manual tranny, and a diesel engine. I know next to nothing about scouts so I need some help. I want it for the axles and maybe the tranny. Its in pretty bad shape body wise, diffs leaking, bald tires but some parts are in good condition and it has a Warn 8274. I want to get what I need and sell the rest. Does anyone have any info on when they offered this engine and what tranny behind it? If not any places that have this information. The only thing I could find was a phone number and they said it was towed to where it now sits. The guy I talked to sadi he thought $1200 was what he wanted but wasn't sure. Its been there a while. What should I offer the guy for it? I figure the axles and the winch are worth $500-$600 to me. Haven't contacted the owner yet (no answer) and the doors were locked. I couldn't look under the hood shift the tranny or anything. I fought back the 2 foot grass to see what I could see from underneath. Sorry so long but I appreciate the help.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout Diesel

The Nissan SD-33 was available from 1976 'till 1980. For the '80 model year, it had a turbocharger (SD-33T). The close-ratio T-19 was used, for the most part, although some TF727 automatics were used as well (and SD-33's with the auto are complete dogs). If it runs well, it could be worth some decent money. Engines, and parts, aren't all that commonly available. Most gasburner IH people don't like the diesel, but there is a decent-sized diesel following out there (I'm part of it ). Hope that helps! Good luck! Any more questions, post or E-mail...

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout Diesel

How bad is it really?
There are plenty of 'shot' Scouts out there w/ D44s. The diesels are somewhat rare, and as the last post states, there's an element in IH collector's circles that are into diesels. I am trying to find one now, in fact. In anycase, you could probably find D44s cheaper than $1200, probably already off the vehicle.
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode