Oil Geyser - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2000, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil Geyser

I have a Scout II that spews oil. I think the oil comes out of the pcv valve. I replaced the valve but it is still happening. I also notice that I do not
have the original dipstick...it is an adjustable length replacement. Is it possible that I put too much oil in? (8 quarts seems a little excessive) If so,
how do I find out how long the dipstick should be?

Jared Rodgers

WHAT'S THAT NOISE???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil Geyser

Yeah, eight quarts sounds like about 1.5 to 2 quarts too many. I'd suggst draining the oil, replace the filter, and add six quarts. Then see where that is on your dipstick. Should be real close to FULL. If it's off the dipstick altogether at that point, you need a new/different dipstick that you can rely on.

On the other hand... I wonder if your drain passages in your heads are all open. Do you have a reliable oil pressure reading? If so, what is it? If you have low oil pressure with this problem of too much oil on the top end, then perhaps some of the openings in the heads which allow the oil to drain back to the sump are clogged. To check this would be as simple as removing the valve covers.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2000, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil Geyser

You said you replaced the PVC valve. I have a 345 and the valve cover has a breather valve not a PVC valve. If you put a PVC valve in it's place, oil will blow out from everywhere. The PVC valve goes in the hole between the back of the engine and the transmission. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode