has any one considered this? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

has any one considered this?

I found a Ford/Navistar 7.3 Turbo Diesel for a reasonable price...The engine is way to heavy to consider swapping it into my Jeep. I've heard that IH gas v8's are really heavy and I've always wanted a scout too. Do you think this engine with either a T18(T19) or TF727 would be a good combo? (the diesel has a electronic auto tranny so I really don't want to deal with that) TIA
-Marky

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: has any one considered this?

What year is the 7.3? Most 7.3 IDI engines are the same block as the venerable 6.9; I'm not sure about the IDI turbo, though. The T444e PowerStroke is a different block altogether. I know for a fact that people have put 6.9's into Scouts with relatively little trouble; I doubt that a IDI 7.3 would be a problem. That turbo may be, though; there MAY not be enough space to fit it all (you could just keep the hood off, though ). As far as a tranny goes, you may be best off getting a ZF 5sp from a junked Ford truck. Most people who've done a 6.9 swap into a Scout also take the Ford T-19 with it; the clutch is hydraulic as opposed to the manual clutch in the Scout T-19.
Just some thoughts...good luck! Keep us posted; sounds like a fun project!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A friend of mine (Erik Stude from the Binder Bunch) put a 6.9 in his Scout (with the Ford T19) so if you
have specific questions, I could probably find out the answers and post them.

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is for anyone that is running a big diesel. I'm wondering what kind of mileage your getting. With fuel costing what it does today, my dreams of buying a scout and being able to actually drive it are rapidly disappearing.

-Jamie

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Erik's Scout is a dedicated trail rig, so I doubt he's computed any mileage numbers. I saw a web page
a few years ago that described putting a small Cummins (a 4 cylinder, I think) into a Scout. He claimed
over 30 mpg on the highway, though from the HP/torque numbers weren't all that high so accelleration
might not be on par with a v8.

Later,
Curt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 02:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, I think that Cummins is a small straight-6. The engine size, horsepower, and torque numbers are a bit better than the SD-33T, although close (not like it's a B5.9l or anything). It's an AT3.4 turbocharged engine. Looks sweet, too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Attached is a pic of the engine compartment I found.

I don't know about the Cummins, but Curt's right on the lack of power on the Nissan engines. I have an SD-33T, and I basically can't go above freeway speeds, and no way I can climb a hill at any decent speed unless it's a low grade and I've got a good running start (see my post about needing to fix the 4 ways [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). Actually, this is kinda true of all inline 6 engines (gas or diesel); they ain't gonna rev as fast as a V-8. But great low-end torque, though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My SD-33T can barely move my Scout at freeway speeds, but it can pull a 20' boat on the I-5 like the boat isn't even there. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

On fuel mileage, diesels inherently get better mileage than gasburners. I know some Ford guys with 6.9l's who say they get over 20mpg...and that's a V-8! And that's pulling a big heavy truck with lots of wind resistance. I'm sure that if someone dropped a 6.9l into a Scout, if it was geared right, they could probably get really good mileage (especially compared to a 345 or a 392) with good power.

I actually bought my Scout for the diesel (although the great off-road capability's cool, too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ), and, other than the lack of power and that my body's basically falling off, I'm extremely happy with the truck. I've figured my average mileage as about 17 miles to the gallon, which is definitely not right, though; supposedly the SD-33T can do over 25mpg on a good day. I'm guessing my math was wrong (also maybe the consideration that I let the engine idle for about 5 minutes to warm up every day). From what I've heard, average mileage on the 6.9l's about 15 to 20 mpg. The Dodge Cummins, from what I've heard, gets between 20 and 25 mpg. I don't know about the new Powerstrokes or any GM diesels, though. Hope that helps some! Any more questions, please feel free to ask...you can also E-mail me if you so choose. Overall, IMHO, a diesel is a better buy...I owned two gasburners before I got my Scout, and I have no intentions of ever buying a gas engine again (except maybe a 426 Hemi [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]).

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T
Attached Images
File Type: gif 40-649-ScoutCummins.gif (44.9 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode