Replacing ignition switch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacing ignition switch

Does anyone out there know how to replace the ignition switch in a 1979 Scout II? I bought a tilt wheel at a junkyard and a new cylinder with key at NAPA, but I cannot find info on how to swap it out, not even on the Binder Bulliten.
Thanks, Mark

Scout, anything else is just a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2000, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Replacing ignition switch

The switch is located on top of the steering column up under the dash. When I replaced mine, I found
that I had to unbolt the steering column from the dash and let the steering column hang down in order
to get access to the switch. If you're talking about the ignition key mechanism rather than the switch
itself, then I can't help you since I've never messed with one.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 05:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are talking about replacing the keyed ignition cylinder part only then I can help. I replaced mine but it's been about 4 years ago and to be honest I'd have to refer back to my manual to tell you how. I have a Scout II manual (the factory one that's about 2 inches thick) and it shows in detail how to do it. If you still are in need of instruction e-mail me and I will use my camcorder set on macro for close up and film the page you need and then e-mail it back to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

You might be the person I need to talk to. I know it is been awhile, but could you send me the instructions on how to replace the ignition switch? I have a 1977 Traveler and the switch is worn out. (Can turn the switch without key) I know you sent this to Mark back in May, but are you willing to send it to me? I would appreciate it. I am getting really rushed on time, because I want to take my Scout with me to go deer hunting and it is coming up soon. (Nov 11th rifle season) So if you could send it to me it would be a big help. My e-mail adress is [email protected]. Thanks in advance!!

Paul
St Louis, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode