Eliminating the Steering Rag Joint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Eliminating the Steering Rag Joint

Todd McCullen posted to the Offroad Digest that he has come out with a Steering shaft
for Scout II to eliminate the rag joint. His site is at http://www.desertfab.com, and details
on the steering shaft are at http://www.desertfab.com/page3.html. I have no afiliation with
desertfab, and know no further details beyond what's on the web page. I would be interested,
except that it looks like the upper u-joint is the same size as or bigger than the stock u-joint,
and I have problems with the u-joint rubbing on the headers in my Scout - I need to look for
something with a smaller u-joint.

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Eliminating the Steering Rag Joint

Curt,

Thanks for posting this information. I'm going to check it out.

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I REPLACED MY RAG JOINT JUST BY GOING TO THE STORE AND BUYING A U-JOINT, AND RUNNING TWO U-JOINTS. I THINK THAT THE PROBLEM WITH NOT HAVING THE RAG JOINT IS THAT NOISE TRAVELS UP YOUR STEERING COLUMN, AND ON BUMPY ROADS MY STEERING WHEEL SOUNDS LIKE A SEAL BARKING.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've considered this, but since the steering column is attached to the body, and the steering gear
is attached to the frame, and since there is bound to be some motion between the body and the
frame, it seems to me that you need to have some sort of slip joint somewhere in there.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a ScoutII with a 392ci and stans headers. I run a standard chev one ton rag joint which is standard for all sanginaw steering boxes
available at any parts store or gm dealer. the scoutII has a standard saginaw steering box. they are cheap! even carry a spare.

After Roadracing I use fourwheeling to relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode